Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Boulevard Boss Tom Golden Bock

Boulevard... Oh Boulevard, is there anything you can't do? Seriously in love with this company, despite the fact we can't obtain them in Ohio. We still have some Illinois trip beers to review, and in showing love to Illinois (with all the shit they've been through the past couple days with the tornadoes), we review this with sunken hearts. We wish the best for everyone in the path of the terrible chaos that happened, and wish that those who lost their livelihood can have a speedy and full recoup.

With our deep heartfelt message out there, I continue on to this beer. We went out to Pekin, Illinois, this past summer and loaded up on beer (mixed 12 of Boulevard and countless mixed 6 packs) of brews we can't obtain here in Ohio. Since that trip, Clown Shoes is distributed and both Deschutes and New Belgium will have distribution here soon. I feel like we were a driving force on getting these breweries to come to Ohio (not really, I know it's a capacity thing with the sheer copious amounts of beer that Ohio consumes). With that being said, I hope Boulevard, with their new ownership of Duvel, decides to distribute here soon.

This pours golden, as would be expected with a name like 'golden bock'. There is a decent amount of stark white, fluffy head when first poured, but dissipates quickly. The aroma on this is slightly malty with some herb, spice and floral aroma from hops. Very interesting smelling. The flavor on this very light. Light maltiness, biscuit and faint hints of caramel, with faint hops giving flavors of what you picked up in the aroma. Crisp, clean and smooth drinking. Refreshing mouthfeel with nothing much of stickiness. One of the best lagers I've had (Three Floyd's Jynx Proof being the only one that comes to mind that tops it). I honestly think this would makes for a perfect porch drinking beer (side by side with any session IPA or the Stiegl Radler), but, alas, we're entering the cold weather in Ohio which makes people stay inside. So instead, if I run across this before warmer weather, I guess I'll have to stay in my flannel pajamas, sitting on the couch with the heater on, drinking this. I might take a day off work just to do that soon.

4.5/5 caps

-Nathan-

Ugh, I'm still mega-distraught over the phone lines being down to Washington, Illinois, and not being able to make sure my old neighbors are OK. Old neighbors. That's such an insufficient description of what these women mean to me. They were my mothers-of-the-bride in my wedding (as my own mother had passed not quite two years prior). They were there when I came in after getting home from high school to find my beloved dog dead while my parents were still at work. They were who I talked to more than people my own age about teenage girl problems. They were there, for over twenty years, on a daily basis. I am rather distraught over the distance between us now, and knowing that they moved to Washington a few years ago and with the tragedy going on in that area, it's not helping a damned thing. I am fairly confident that they are safe and unharmed, but it would feel so much better to hear their wonderful voices, or to find their names on the Red Cross registry. All I can do, at this point, is to wrap my arms around them metaphorically.

Even though you are not beer fans, Barb and Joyce, this review is for you. Here's to hoping telephone service is restored soon and I can hear your beautiful voices and make sure you are OK and your home is unharmed.

With that said, I'm going to try to brush off the tears and not let them interfere with my senses of taste and smell. This beer, again from Kansas City, Missouri, pours a beautiful, crystal-clear golden color with the faintest ring of white head remaining. The aroma of this is wonderful, malty, and complex. Some faint grass or straw hints and perhaps some pleasant earthiness peek through the nose. Taking a sip, I get the golden part of Golden Bock. It tastes, well, golden. There's the grassy/straw notes that meld into bread and toast notes, fading into cereal and drying out quickly to a pleasant freshly-mowed grass finish.  A very easy-drinking beer, this is. Porch-sipper? Indeed. It feels very soft and round in the mouth.

It's definitely worthy of bringing a truckload of sand in a couple of fake palm trees to recreate summer on a cold February day, when you're sick of seeing White Death and longing for the aquamarine waters and white sands and steel drum sounds of the Caribbean.

4.3/5

-Jennie

P.S. During this review, I spoke with Joyce. Both she and Barb and safe and sound, snug as bugs in a rug and completely unharmed by the devastation that is wreaking its havoc on my hometown and surrounding areas. Even their home is without so much as a loose shingle, despite living a half-mile from the epic destruction. Thank goodness for the little things, right?! Now, to restore normalcy to the rest of the area. Washington Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment