Thursday, August 8, 2013

Three Floyds Blackheart





First off, this is our 200th post. Thank you to all the readers who have followed us. Don't forget to like us on Facebook where we share info about upcoming releases, news from the beer world and events in/around Columbus, Ohio (our base).

Onto this, which has been in our fridge, calling nightly to me, for roughly a month. Oh, Three Floyds, why must you make such fantastic beer that I CRAVE your selections while I'm at work? Why, oh, why can't there be Zombie Dust and/or Arctic Panzer Wolf in my mouth while I'm running a forklift. Oh... Wait... Scratch that forklift part.

Well, before I even got to taste this, The Phil has devoured his 3rd of this bomber and said "it's really good!" This has Phil's approval, so it must be good. Despite the 91 rating on BA and the 98 at RateBeer, I take Phil's Approval as the official rating of beer.

This poured a hazy copper orange color with small amount of off white head, which dissipated quickly. The nose is sweet, biscuity, floral with a hint of almost lemon and hints of spice. The initial flavor beckons something similar to a hoppy British brown ale. Pardon my lack of structure on the following, this is typing between multiple sips to try and thoroughly describe/explain the complex flavor profile.
-There are some woody and earthy tones
-There's some orange flavor upfront and again toward the back
-There is spice that pops it's head in from time to time to remind you that it remains.
-Some zest-like bitterness rounding out the end.

Very smooth drinking, medium body with some slight stickiness left on your cheeks and gums. Not the typical Hop Bomb that I'm used to, but not terrible in the least bit.

4.5/5 caps

-Nathan-

This has had some time to shake off that fridge chill while I cleaned up from making somewhere around a bagillion gallons of chicken (and veggie, for me) stock for the winter. Dad (Phil) has been feeling a little under the weather, so some chicken and dumplings were in order. And if you know me, I don't do much that's not from scratch. It's not meant to be an I'm-better-than-you thing, it's more that I usually have most of the ingredients on hand, and I always forget to buy stock at the store. Besides, it's way cheaper to make at home.

So, on to the beer. Hazy orange? Check. Faint lacings of the head remaining? Check. I pick up a lot of orange, caramel, and some biscuit in the nose, and yes, there is some lemon and some spice. Let's see if I can take you through the waves of the flavor profiles. I pick up caramel and the accompanying sweetness of caramel initially, then some orange, then the sweetness quickly fades into dry zest-like bitterness with the faintest earthy note, with the spice weaving in and out of the entire sip. I think the spice note is almost like a hint of chamomile and perhaps a tinge of black peppercorn, with the peppercorn coming through at the very end of the taste. As I near the end of my portion, I notice that there is a bunch of sediment floating in what little remains in my glass. Thank Hopsus for unfiltered beer. I also noticed that there was a new note that came out in the after-after taste (remember, that's what I call it when I belch, as often there are a slew of other flavors there -- so occasionally, being rude is a good thing!). I'm trying to gulp down the rest of my portion trying to identify it... seemed a little like chamomile, but it was there and gone before I fully put my finger on it.

And then I realize that I just completely re-described what Nathan said. This is rather enjoyable. I'll look forward to this again, much like we do with every Three Floyds brew. So far, it's the best English-style IPA I've had.

P.S. It was grapefruit in the after-after taste. Finally.

4.6/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment