Thursday, May 16, 2013

Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf





Yet another Three Floyds selection. I understand why their beer sells faster than it hits the shelf.

This is the Arctic Panzer Wolf. Fierce, insane eyes, 9% ABV, 100 IBUs. Insane amount of IBUs to match the insane eyes. The aroma is sheer assault of hops on the nose as soon as the bottle was opened. The pour is golden with a tinge of orange. Solid off-white head that sticks around. The aroma is an onslaught of amazingness. There's citrus, tropical fruit, some pine, hints of grass and caramel. Very hop forward on the nose. The longing for the taste is just too much to bear. OH SWEET HOPSUS!!!!!! This is... hang on, I need another sip. Such a hop forward flavor. Tons of flavor. There's grapefruit, there's some citrus, there's tropical (mango-esque) fruit, there's some hints of floral, some biscuity malt and a hint of sweetness toward the back with some citrus rind bitterness, think grapefruit zest, with the finish. Slight resiny mouthfeel. Slightly carbonated to make this the perfect 'I only drink on the 7 Holidays. Tonight I'm drinking because it's Thursday' sort of beer.

With each sip, the flavors change to where there's now a peach or apricot sort of flavor added into the array of hop onslaught. This wolf is lovely, and as wolves are related to dogs, I feel as though I can thoroughly enjoy this without feeling like I'm cheating on my Doggies.

Hopsus Be Praised!!!

5/5 caps

-Nathan-

It's been nearly an hour since we started this review and I had my first sip and "Oh holy Hopsus" moment. A friend stopped over and, as friends do, we got to chatting and carousing and enjoyed a couple of "everyday" beers. Right before she got here, we poured this. At fridge temp, my nose enjoyed the onslaught of grapefruit aromas that were prevalent. Now that it's warmed a bit, it's precisely as Nathan described, with the grapefruit being much more subtle. Oh shizzle, this is amazing. I love the grapefruit zest note in here. Wait, "love" isn't a strong enough word.

If you're a hophead, try to find some of this if you can. If you enjoy grapefruit, you will probably love this. If you enjoy neither, save that bottle for us. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with hops on top.

5/5 caps

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment