Friday, December 28, 2012

Flying Dog Raging Bitch

"rd is"

that is what Jennie left after deleting the beautiful posting I had.... first was a review, then raving about her team (the team from WHORE TOWN). I'll now try and recreate my review-Nathan

Trust me, Nathan, it was good, but verbose. -Jennie

Ok....

So.... Wow... Just Wow... Raging Bitch... Best way I can sum it up in one sentence is "God Dizzle this is a fantastic brew!"

As it's been noted, Flying Dog is my favorite brewery. I have their 'bat' tattooed on my arm, twice. My love affair with them began in Feb 2007. I was in Athens, Ohio, hanging out with a couple of good friends who lived/ went to college there. We decided we needed beer, so we wandered down to a carry out down the street with a great 'make your own six' selection. I remember three of the brews I got on that epic day: Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale, Southern Tier Phin and Matt's, and Flying Dog Doggie Style. I picked up the Flying Dog due to noticing Ralph Steadman's artwork on the bottle (I had been a Hunter S Thompson fan for years and been familiar with Steadman's work). It was off that one bottle that I realized Flying Dog was MY brewery (RIP Kerberos, Tire Bite and possibly Garde Dog). That day changed me from a 'drinking beer to get drunk' person to a 'beer aficionado.'

A little story, before I once again continue with the review. That state up north (starts with the letter between 'L' and 'N' and rhymes with 'bitch again') tried to ban this brew from being distributed because they deemed it too obscene by it its name. Now, this shit smelling state (to be fair, I don't know if the whole state smells like shit, although I'm at least sure that one town, who is named after a WHORE smells like feces) has a brewery, Founders, that makes Dirty Bastard, distributed there. Stone's Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard are distributed there as well, so what's in a name?  Is it that the Department of Obscene Names of Beer (I don't know if that exists) woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to shit on an amazing brew? I have no idea what was going on in their minds, but, long story short, Flying Dog won after legal battles.

So, now, onto the review.

This brew is simply amazing. It's a nice, beautiful amber color. The aroma is interesting, a perfect combination of the Belgian yeast and hops. The flavor is first malty, then hoppy, with the Belgian yeast strain making its presence known. There are candied sugars noted in the flavor as well.

Despite it being an 8.3% beer, the alcohol isn't instantly noted (after a few it is, HA!), it's a smooth tasting, balanced bodied beer that is fantastic. I've had non-hop-heads love this, I've had Guinness drinkers love it. I've had non-craft drinkers love it.

Jennie and I had a hot wings challenge when we ran the kitchen at a bar (RIP Scalawags), it was a ghost chili sauce heavily coated over the wings. At the end of the challenge, you got a Raging Bitch to chase the heat/pain. It's just an overall fantastic brew.

Sweet Jesus I'm typing a lot. I hop(e) Jennie doesn't delete this like the last one.

4.9/5 caps

-Nathan-


Yeah, Nathan, you have some verbose tendencies when you've had a few... as we all do. Ahem, nothing really to add to his review... it's a good brew, a very solid, enjoyable beer from Flying Dog. And I don't mind the Belgian yeast strain in here, although my palate is developing to rather enjoy the Belgians, or at least the dank, musty flavors that are associated with some yeast strains (most notably Flying Dog's Woody Creek White, Garde Dog, In Heat Wheat, and In de Wildeman).

And, by the way... that State Up North is Michigan... there is no whore town there, only a beautiful, vibrant city that hosts one of the most kickass universities in the U.S.... Ann Arbor. Beautiful city, not that Nathan would know, as he's never even visited. GO BLUE!!!!!

4.5/5 caps

-Jennie

I refuse to visit the enemy unless I'm forced to go so the SCARLET AND GREY can dominate what you call a team (hahaha you have The Predator on your team, trying to blow up the world every time you lose., which is often.. How'd that Rich Rod era work out for ya?)

-Shad-

You, my  most darling and beloved, have no idea... because you've never been there. Yes, Denard is likely starting in our bowl game on Tuesday. Oh wait... what bowl is Ohio State playing in this year? None, you say???? Why don't you go sell some championship merchandise to buy your way into one?

-Jennie

You can poke fun of us, as you damn near landed in the Little Caesar's bowl (couldn't even afford the Papa John's pizza, huh? Couldn't afford the free garlic dipping sauce on the side?) We have plenty of 'championship merch', yes. We're suffering from a few players who aren't on the team this season.... When was the last time you won anything that mattered? I.E. National Championship, Heisman, Big Ten Championship, a rivalry game against us with a non-interim coach....  Your team hasn't been relevant since the Cooper era (which you'll try to throw in my face, but he was one of the most winning coaches in all of college football, how's that Rich Rod era again? Huh?)... Wisconsin and Nebraska are more of a rivalry matchup than your teams been for the past 10 years. If your shit smelling whore town didn't suck so much ass, you might have a leg to stand on.  You will not have your whore town coat to go smoke, you will suffer as I write this. GAME, SET AND MATCH! GO BUCKS!

-Nathan-

5 comments:

  1. Oh, comment away I will, dear Google. Where do I begin??? Erm, we're in the Outback Bowl... which is more than I can say for OSU (by the way, since we've ventured into the vulgar, note that you can't spell Cocksucker without OSU). I suppose you'll go all Steelers fan on me with "when were you relevant?", to which my response would be, ELEVEN national championships!!! And we are going to a New Year's Day bowl game... again, which bowl game will you be attending this year? I'm sorry, I was going to post a pic of your bowl t-shirt, but you posted this before I could upload the pic of a blank white tee. And as for the RichRod era, he's won plenty... at West Virginia and Arizona. He wasn't the right match for Michigan (or any Big Ten school, I'd argue)... just as Luke Fickell may not have been in his prime at OSU last year. And here's the Cooper reference -- 2-10-1. Suck on that, Shadley.

    -Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I hear is blah blah blah I love Whore's Town.... I'm sorry. I'm going to bed, as someone has to make money in this family for us to drink on and do these reviews... YAY WORKING SATURDAYS! And again, for the bowl game this year, Pizza, Pizza.

    -Shad-

    ReplyDelete
  3. *world-weary sigh* That was CENTRAL Michigan in the Little Caesar's Bowl this year. And I keep asking Peanut for a raise, but he refuses to give me one. Remind me again WHY I gave birth to him???? (Just kidding, for those of you who don't know us... of course he's the love and blah blah blah of my life.) Anyway... back to your regularly scheduled beergramming.

    -Jennie GO BLUE!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll remind you why you gave birth to him.... wait.... nevermind.... I wasn't there until he was 2, I'm just the dad figure in his life... regardless, work= beer money, (and yes, paying all the bills for those keeping tabs) beer money= beer, beer= reviews for these people. Love OSU and good night, babe.

    -Shad-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody likes a braggart, dear... good night, love you, and GO BLUE!!!!!!!!

    -Jennie

    PS I think it's kinda funny you posted all your comments as me.

    ReplyDelete