Monday, December 17, 2012

Shiner Cheer

Ahhhh, it's winter seasonal time... and one of my go-to's is Shiner Cheer. When you can find it. Shiner, based out of Texas, puts out a respectable Bock, and I have a strong affinity for their summer seasonal, Ruby Redbird. But I can drink 6-pack upon 6-pack of their Cheer. The label describes it as a dark wheat ale brewed with peaches and roasted pecans. BeerAdvocate lists it as 5.4% ABV.

Cheer pours a medium amber color, with a moderate head. Eh, who am I kidding, I didn't feel like dirtying a glass tonight and am drinking it from the bottle. Tsk tsk, but I haven't cleaned the kitchen from dinner yet. And, as mentioned in prior posts, I'm a bottle baby. I can still see that it has a medium amber color. Maybe it's the caramel coloring that the label confesses to adding. I'm not thrilled with that, but as I'm drinking (and thoroughly enjoying) a fruit-and-nut beer, I'm certainly no beer purist. Can't tell you the head color or retention. Once you pop that cap (and yes, it's a screw-top), at fridge temp, you get a whiff of pecans.Yes, fridge temp, probably colder than it should be. And it probably won't last long enough to warm to cellar temperature. You may revolt now, beer snobs.

Anyway, back to the beer. Pecans in the nose, at fridge temp. Interesting. I usually don't get the nut flavors out until the beer warms. On the first sip, you get a smack of peach. Not overwhelming, but definitely there. And fresh peaches, not that fake peach flavor that reminds one of a Jelly Belly. I find the pecans stay more in the aroma than in the flavor. But this is one smooth beer. No wonder I can kill a 6-er in a sitting without regrets the next morning. As for the finish, that's where I find the wheat really coming through. It's just yummy. I could totally envision a sliver of pecan pie being a fantastic accompaniment to this.

4/5 caps. Decking them a little for adding caramel color and "natural flavor".

-Jennie

 I have nothing to add to this. Jenniesis was spot one with this.

-Nathan-

Picture taken from http://www.dailybeerreview.com/2011/11/shiner-holiday-cheer.html. Check out Beer Drinker Rob's review of this -- I found it spot on!

No comments:

Post a Comment