Friday, June 28, 2013

Bridgeport India Pale Ale

This is yet another brew we picked up on the much-ballyhooed road trip to Peoria. I'm nursing what may well be the worst hangover in history, so it should prove interesting. Nathan had the brilliant idea to attend a beer tasting earlier, and while the beers tasted amazing, they also made me a little woozy. Hopefully the pizza we had for dinner will continue to counteract my gin-soaked haze.

BridgePort Brewing Company is based in Portland, Oregon, in what may just well be America's craft beer mecca. Well, besides the highly underrated Columbus, Ohio, but that's a rant for a different day. This clocks in at 5.5% ABV. Let's see how is stands up to yesterday's overindulgence of gin. I noticed as we were pouring this that the bottle reminds me of Dundee's labels.

It pours a medium orange color, with plenty of haze and a small but tight off-white head. The aroma is lovely, with notes of bready malts, citrus, and a little pine sneaking in. Ugh, pine. That reminds me of gin. Any other day, it would be a welcome note. Not today. No, sir. Taking a sip, there are notes of mango, citrus, and damn, there's the pine, followed by freshly-mown grass and a lovely dry finish that almost tastes of grape must or champagne. It's an interesting IPA, to be certain. I find the malt notes come out more in the nose than in the taste itself. Somewhere after the sip is gone, there's a hint of black peppercorns that make an appearance.

This is the first beer I've had from BridgePort. I'd be happy to be find more of this and have it as a regular in my fridge.

On a completely unrelated note, my dad got into our stash of unobtainium while we were at the beer tasting. No, he couldn't feel free to help himself to the beers in the back that there are duplicates of and that are readily available in Ohio. He had to go for the Greenbush Brewing Company Sunspot, a hefeweizen. While he took a potty break, I totally sneaked a sip. Not enough to do a full review on, but enough to get a feel for the beer. It was a solid hefeweizen, but it had a lot of the notes of Belgian yeast that I don't prefer. So I'll let that one slide. I suppose. Note, this is the second Friday in a row that he's helped himself to the stash of unobtainium. Last week was because he couldn't wait the fifteen minutes while I ran to the beer store. We're gonna have to start hiding the good stuff.

4.7/5 caps

-Jennie

After drinking a couple Hudy 14K (as Burger is hard to find, for some reason), I'm primed for something Hoppy. This has been a long month of pulling double shifts and working Saturdays, tomorrow not breaking the cycle. Happier things, BEER.

Note: I work close to the AB brewery in town and occasionally I can catch a whiff of hops. This doesn't help with my daily cravings of hops. Other note: I think I should stock up on hop candy and just suck on a piece at work when my hop cravings get intense.

So, as Jennie mentioned, this pours a hazy orange. I just noticed, as my fingers are lazily typing, that if you forget the 'o' in orange, you get range. Huh. Things that you never notice over 27 years of a dry and listless life. But back to the review.  The aroma is a citrus burst with mild backing tones of floral and bready malts. Huh. The flavor is mango and citrus heavy with some sweetness of the malts. Nice and balanced, not bitter in the least bit. It gives a great dry, clean finish to lend to the medium mouthfeel. There is a reason this has an 87 at BeerAdvocate and a 93 at RateBeer.

One of those smooth IPAs that you wish you had more of. Sigh.

4.7/5 caps

-Nathan



No comments:

Post a Comment