Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Capital Brewery Mutiny IPA

This is one of the beers we picked up during our hell trip to Illinois a couple weeks ago. Capital Brewery is based out of Madison, Wisconsin, and it's one you can't get in Ohio. So na na na boo boo. At least my dad didn't drink this one: he killed the Big Sky IPA last week because he couldn't wait the 15 minutes for me to get back with some everyday beer. His justification? It was in a can. I was debating whether to be pissed or whether to educate him on the wonders of craft beer in cans. I've finally calmed down enough that I might be able to have that conversation now, five days later. I've also since been stocking the fridge in a more timely fashion. Sigh. I sniffed the can when he was done.

This is not our first encounter with Capital Brewery. On a prior trip to Illinois, I fell in love with their Hop Cream. Nathan wasn't as enthused over that beer, but we couldn't find some on this trip for him to revisit. I'm a little stoked. We've both been craving hops, so we're rather optimistic about this.

Mutiny IPA pours a partly cloudy medium amber color with a moderate white head that sticks around for a bit. The aroma on this is fantastic. Pine and grapefruit are rather prevalent, with a hint of caramel present as well. Taking a sip, my mouth is happy. It's just as it smells, with an underpinning of the caramel sweetness from the lovely malt backbone. The pine and grapefruit float over the top, it seems. It's moderately carbonated, tickling my throat, and finishes fairly dry.

It's good enough that it makes me want to consider moving back to Illinois, where I can get this more readily.

4.65/5 caps

-Jennie

The reason I did not care for (at the time, it might have changed since) the Hop Cream was the mouthfeel. It was too Guinness-like for my personal palate.

So, after 3 1/2 solid weeks of working double shifts (and a Saturday) with sheer sleep deprivation, my body is near the shut down point. 4 hours of sleep a night is not enough for one to survive off of for so long. During this psychosis today, I had a multiple sense experience from memory. The vision was a pint glass filled with a good IPA, the taste and smell were a big grapefruit and citrus combination. The bad things about this sensory overload/spirit walk, is it was roughly 11am, and I've been CRAVING hops since. No, I don't need alcohol to survive or get through my day, it was the craving for an IPA, much like a pregnant woman has cravings for chocolate.

So with that being said, I continue onto this review. As she-with-paint-on-her-glasses stated, this pours an amber color, although I'd say more of a lighter amber.The head has somewhat stuck around throughout her section of the review and my zoning out (while trying to think {ouch} of the proper term for sensory overload). The aroma is citrus, floral, perfume, and caramel; blending in a harmonious bliss that this tongue has longed for (I haven't had an IPA in a couple weeks). The flavor is interesting. There's an initial bite of faint citrus that melds and eventually gives way to a earthy and floral combination with hints of caramel aiding to the profile, ending on some bitterness that lingers slightly. Not quite as hoppy as I'd like, but still good. The mouthfeel is rather creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.

This is a 6.2% ABV, 70 IBU brew, but does not seem like 70 IBUs, as it has a decent malt backbone to lend to the hops.

4.5/5 caps

-Nathan


No comments:

Post a Comment