Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Founders Devil Dancer

Ah, Devil Dancer. Barely legal in Ohio with your 12% ABV. You who are so tasty with you 112 IBUs and being dry hopped with 10 different varieties of hops (according to Founders' website).

We had this last year at $20ish a 4-pack, ouch. It was worth it last year. Is this year's release worth the $5.49 we spent on this at Broadway Liquor in Pekin, Illinois? (note, we have not seen this in Ohio yet). Yes, I know. I should have poured this into a tulip glass, but at the same point, when you've had 5 different brews tonight (PBR, Flying Dog Citra, Two Brother's Laughing Panda, Deschutes Red Chair, and Deschutes Chainbreaker), I don't really care about how this high test, high IBU nectar of that state up north gets from the bottle into my mouth. It just needs to happen, especially after this weekend.

This aroma is a sucker punch in your face while insulting your favorite family member. Once you get by the potent alcohol aroma, there.... huh.... I think I'm getting a buzz just by smelling this for the aroma... But that aside, once you're past the alcohol aroma, there are notes of caramel, citrus, some faint tropical fruit that at first gets lost then blends with the alcohol vapors. OH LORDY! I'M FEELING THE VAPORS!

The taste is deceptive as hell. It's piney, citrusy, earthy and floral. All the good things you'd expect from using 10 different hops in an IPA. Ah, but here's the catch, there's a heavy malt backbone to this as well, combining caramel and biscuit, but they eventually get overwhelmed with the sheer resinous power of the high alpha acids in the hops. The funny this is, the alcohol bite in this isn't as predominant as you'd think, nay nay. This is like a fantastic Imperial IPA (hence why they call it a Triple IPA). The alcohol is only noticed after drinking it. The hops lend citrus, floral and earthy tones to this in a complete gang bang on your taste buds. Yes, I said gang bang. There's a resiny mouthfeel that's left that would leave the non-hopheads in complete and utter fear and respect of this.

This is good. No, this is damn good! I now turn this over to she-who-has-lady-parts for her portion of the review.

5/5 caps (yes, it's worth $5.50 a 12-ounce bottle)

-Nathan-

You're welcome. We bought this in Illinois, where it was quite abundant, so that we wouldn't trod upon your ability to get some of this nectar of the gods here, because Founders has a cult-like following in Ohio, or so it seems. It's not just here, but I do think that we Central Ohio beer lovers are a tad voracious when it comes to our appetites for all things Founders.

Besides, after news breaking today of growing pains delaying Founders' release of All Day IPA in can format and their introduction to the state of Florida, we figured our friends up north could use a little pick-me-up. We're so glad we had this on hand.

I've had two sips so far, trying to determine if there's anything that Nathan missed. I'm already feeling it. The alcohol bite on the back end is just what the doctor ordered after a rough weekend. It's also a lovely garnet color, with a smallish off-white head that doesn't stick around and leaves lovely alcohol legs on the glass. Other than that, Nathan's description is pretty spot on.

I saw in some review somewhere (ok, fine, it was on RateBeer) that someone thought it reminded him a lot of Stone's Arrogant Bastard. That comment made me want to revisit the good old AB, as last time I had it, it tasted more of old ale than IPA extraordinaire. Have I forgotten how hoppy it is? I have no idea! I need to know! Now! Right now! Right this instant!!!!! But I'm not sober enough to drive to buy some! Damn!!!!!! And this is almost gone, and I want more!!!!!

I'm so glad we picked up some of this... it's another fantastic offering from Founders. They have yet to put out a mediocre beer. It's an early summer seasonal of theirs, so when it comes out here, do yourself a favor and chunk down the $25ish for a 4-pack it's sure to be here. Better yet, for our Illinois friends, Friar Tuck's in Peoria had plenty on hand in 4-pack format, and it was $21.99 for four. It really is worth it.

5/5 caps

-Jennie



No comments:

Post a Comment