Monday, June 10, 2013

Deschutes Red Chair NWPA






Unobtainable in Ohio beer #1

Deschutes is relatively new to me. Our first experience with them was the Class of '88 Barley Wine. We saw the Food Depot in Pekin, Illinois had a great mix-a-6 for 75 cents a beer. 75 CENTS A BEER!?!?!?!? OK! So, decided, being the parental figure I am, that we would grab some juice and other supplies for child before heading to the beer/liquor area. We picked up juice and chips and headed toward the register. There was this younger girl (maybe 21) with a... unique look to her that I noticed was giving me the eye. She ended up being our cashier. Still noticed 'the eye' as she was ringing us up (to where Jennie made the comment of 'she wanted you'). Now, this young lady, I have no idea on. She was cute, except for the makeup. I couldn't tell if it was the Harijuku look or trying to mimic Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. Yeah, that much. So after our adventure in the store, we went and started picking our brews. Jennie decided it would be a pleasant idea to drop a bottle of this on the floor (she'll probably claim it was just a mistake and the bottle fell as she was grabbing another). While assisting in cleaning this mess up, we noticed that this smelled fantastic.

So, onto the review. This pours a beautiful amber color with a little bit of off white head that does not stick around. This is a 6.2% ABV, 60 IBU Northwest Pale Ale (hence the NWPA). The aroma is bready, some citrus, some earthy tones, and some spice. Almost like a Rye IPA smell. The initial taste is very bready. It's bready and caramel up front with a delayed kick in of some hops lending a citrus note to the mix, leaving some spice on the backend. Not what I expected. The mouthfeel is smooth with lighter carbonation, leaving a sweet sort of stickiness. This is definitely worth checking out if you get an opportunity, or then again, maybe it's because I can't get this in Ohio. I'm looking forward to the next several reviews of Unobtainable in Ohio beers.

4.4/5 caps

-Nathan-

She totally wanted you. To the point where she followed us back to the liquor department. And the bottle dropping and breaking wasn't a mistake; it flew off the shelf. But being the nice person I am, I cleaned it up for the poor girl behind the counter who was dealing with copious amounts of lottery hopefuls and the Gwen Stefani backup singer wannabe.

Back to the beer. In case you can't tell, we're both trying to wash away our annoyance with the way the last three days have gone. So please, let's get back to the beer. He-with-boy-parts described this to a "T". I pick up a hint of earthy tones after the sip is long gone and everything else fades away, but that's just me. This is a fantastic pale ale with spicier hop characteristics.

I can't wait to drink more Deschutes. I'm definitely impressed so far. And seriously, the price. It's about the same price as domestic piss-lager, if not cheaper. I'm sold.

4.45/5 caps

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment