Sunday, May 19, 2013

North Coast/Deschutes/Rogue Class of '88 Barley Wine


North Coast/Deschutes/Rogue Class of '88 Barley Wine. Possibly the longest name for a beer I've seen. Why Class of '88? Well, you see, there was a time in the 80's where music was different. This music spurred people to dream and have aspirations again, well, that and a severe fanatical devotion to the Ol' Gipper, the only US President who could claim 'I don't recall saying that' and get away with it. Well, with these life changing factors put in place, multiple breweries opened in 1988, North Coast, Deschutes, Rogue, Goose Island, and Great Lakes are among those breweries. From what I gather, Deschutes is doing collaborations with all the aforementioned breweries to celebrate their 25 years in business.  North Coast/Deschutes/Rogue brewing a Barley Wine, Deschutes/Great Lakes brewing an Imperial Smoked Porter, and Deschutes/Goose Island brewing a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. It will be interesting to see if we can obtain (more of get distributed in Ohio) these upcoming releases. Please note- it also seems like each brewery is releasing their own (like Saison Du Buff from Dogfish, Victory and Stone, which we'll have to pick up soon). This is the North Coast release.

So with that being said, enough with the mumbo jumbo, I know what you're all here for, the beer review. This pours a crystal clear, deep amber with decent amount of head (2 fingers worth in the wine glass). While typing the first paragraph, and up until this present point, the head has shrunk a little. This confounds me as when I think Barley Wine style- as I think deep and dark with little head (ala Flying Dog Horn Dog). Phil's already finished his portion of the bottle- thought it was very good and asking if we had more. Unfortunately, no, no we do not. Although the fact that you're wanting more before I even give a review on the aroma means that THIS BEER HAS PHIL'S STAMP OF APPROVAL! So, without further ado, the aroma. This has a piney and citrus front with dark fruit backing. Interesting... Onto the taste now. Oh... Oh my... This is unlike any Barley wine I've had. It's more along the likings of a Strong Ale. This is hoppy up front on the first sip- with piney and citrus tones, following up with caramel and some sweetness. This finishes dry, but has the right amount of carbonation to keep this interesting. There isn't as much booziness as I'd expect from a 10% Barley Wine, there's a slight hint. But you have to search for it. This melds in a perfect harmony in my mouth to where I don't want to stop drinking it. I'm not a huge fan of the Barley Wine style in general, as most are a little too heavy mouthfeel and boozy for my liking. This is, again, like a Strong Ale. Lighter bodied than your typical BW. Although can definitely feel the alcohol content, half way through the wine glass worth. That nice, warm fuzzy feeling seems to be taking hold. But then Phil has to go and kill it by some sort of music award program where a bunch of pop-stars with a twang in their voice (aka, modern country) are butchering "Born on the Bayou". What the fuck. Seriously- why can't it be music from the 80's right now to celebrate these breweries and their 25 years of music. I am finding "Bizarre Love Triangle" on the my mp3 player and cranking it through headphones as soon as I tag Jennie in. Which is now.

4.8/5 caps

-Nathan

I've never been so glad to hear the news at very loud decibels. The aural assault I've just endured is atrocious. I'm so ready for this glass of beer it's not even funny. Let's not even get into the weekend I've had; it's definitely grown-up time. And now that I know that it has not only Phil's stamp of approval but also the olfactory approval of three cats chasing a junebug, I'm in. I mean, I learned that I can chug a PBR in the space of one awful never-before-was country song, even if John Fogerty was onstage. I'm ready for a good beer.

When I think barleywine, the two that come to mind are Flying Dog's Horn Dog and Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot. I've heard good things about Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot, but I don't recall having that. The two I've had are good; nay, both are excellent. So let's see how this stacks up. The aroma is exactly as Nathan described. Ive had a couple of whiffs, and this is hoppier than any barleywine I've smelled. I'm getting more and more excited. I don't know if I can find words to describe how good this is. The roller coaster that is happening in my mouth makes me blissfully ignore the events leading up to this review. It tastes like a barleywine to me, but it's so much lighter-bodied and hoppier, I'm left wanting more. It starts out definitely barleywine, with boozy stone fruit esters, then the hops carry you through the middle, and it finishes dry and boozy. Mine has warmed considerably more than Nathan's. It reminds me of a wonderfully complex pinot noir, if you're also a wine fan... it's light-bodied, dry yet fruity, and just boozy enough to make me forget the dreadful weekend I've had. Nathan's description was very accurate, but I'm picking up some different nuances now that it's warmed.

If your inner beer geek is wondering what the difference is between a barleywine and an old ale (or just what the heck is a barleywine?!), this article should elucidate most questions you have. I'm not picking up as much malty characteristics as BJCP (AKA The Overlords Of Beer Geeks; c'mon, they have tests and stuff) suggests, but the hop and booze presence is certainly indicative of the American barleywine style. I found interesting the difference between the American barleywine and the imperial IPA styles; this isn't noticeably heavier, but I do find it to contain more fruit esters than any imperial IPA. I also loved the quote from Michael Jackson (OBG -- Original Beer Geek -- not the pop star, although sadly both have moved on from this world); it's currently 80 degrees in our house, yet the beer is still significantly delicious.


4.9/5 caps

-Jennie




No comments:

Post a Comment