Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dogfish Head Sixty-One

This sounded interesting to me on one crazy night that I can't remember. Dogfish Head is known for their extreme brewing (we have a copy of Sam's book 'Extreme Brewing" which is where we draw some inspiration for our homebrews). The premise of this fits perfecting into the 'extreme' brewing category. Combining IPA and wine grapes. Could be good, could be weird. But remember, the weird ones are the ones who have the most fun. The birth of this beer happened when Sam Calagione (if you don't know who he is, research) combined some Dogfish Sixty-Minute IPA and some red wine. Fuck it, why not? 6.5% ABV, although I can't find anything with a proper IBU rating (sans the test batch of this that was 61 IBU)

This pours a garnet like color with a pinkish white head. Similar to the color Founders Rubaeus has. The aroma on this is sweet, like a red wine and hops, twisted in this interesting concoction that plays against your nose, making it work overtime on its day off in order to pick out the distinct characteristics. The first taste hits my tongue as "Transmission" by Joy Division comes on the Classic Alt station. I'm not sure how to poetically word this, so i'll word it bluntly. Tasted like a carbonated watered down red wine. Occasionally there are hints of hops, but they get lost in the muddling of grapes. Nowhere near the body or characteristics of Dogfish Head's Sixty-Minute. This is more of a wine drinker's beer than it is a hop head's beer. Complex flavors, decent carbonation, dry finish.

3.7/5 caps

-Nathan-

Note: Nathan thought this sounded way more interesting than I did. And I classify myself as a wino who has grown with the craft beer movement. This just doesn't really appeal to me: an IPA with grape must? But hey, I'll try anything twice. Yes, you read that right.

While painting and letting Him-With-Boyparts write his portion, my beer has had time to warm. It's not nearly as pinkish as Rubaeus, no sir. This is more off-white head with the faintest tinge of pink atop a deep amber color. The aroma is interesting: simultaneously hoppy/toffee/bready and smelling of a light red wine, like an Arbor Mist of some horrendous variety. Taking a sip, I can't help the look of disdain creeping across my face. And then we get to the aftertaste. But first, let me take you on the journey that is the worst thing from Dogfish Head to cross my lips since Rhizing Bines. There's a decent hop start, over a toffee note, mixed with some cheap red wine, and then it derails into the mineral, earthy aftertaste and a really bitter note that hits long after it's down your throat. Funny, I like my beers hoppy and my wine earthy, dry, and red. Let the two of these never blend again on my palate simultaneously. Please. I beg of you. I kind of want to throw the rest of this down the garbage disposal. It's a hot mess of not-quite-sure-whether-it's-wine-or-beer. And it's trying too hard to be both.

Imagine if you mixed a bottle of, say, Lambrusco with an IPA. This is the love (hate?) child of that. Please, save yourself the $11 and drink them separately.

Sorry, Sam, you've done way better than this. Let it also be noted that this is a waste of $3 per bottle.

3.4/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment