Saturday, July 6, 2013

Bridgeport Kingpin

This is another beer from our trip to Peoria. Sigh. So, this morning we were awakened by Dad coming in from taking the neighbor on an errand by him telling Peanut, "I had an accident." I figured he meant he spilled something. No, he meant he actually ripped the plastic bottom runner from the side of his car by running over a parking block. Now mind you, Dad isn't the best driver, as we experienced on the trip to Peoria (screaming three times in downtown Indianapolis because Dad almost wrecks as many times counts as not a good driver!). Fortunately, he and the neighbor were safe, and the part was easily reattached.

This may be part of why we're reviewing a lot of beers today. This is Bridgeport Brewing's double red ale. It also claims to be triple hopped, which, as we know from Miller Lite, doesn't mean a thing.

Currently, my mousing is impeded because one of our cats, Jasmine, is perched on top of the computer desk and keeps inching closer to me. I'm guessing she's wanting pets and affection. That, or else she thinks it's a real mouse and she's going to attack it. I'm not quite sure. Regardless, between her and my dad listening to a very unfunny Letterman at insanely loud decibels, writing isn't the easiest at the moment. Here is my view at the moment:
She's very sweet, although typing right now is quite a challenge. So, let's get to the beer, shall we?

This pours a medium amber color with a moderate off-white head. The nose on this is lovely: bready malts, toffee, a hint of pine. Taking a sip, though, I'm not thrilled. I pick up notes of citrus, a bit of toffee, and then this earthy, mineral note takes over and destroys the beer for me. Okay, the second sip isn't so bad, but that aftertaste is rather unpleasant for me. The body of this feels thinner than the aroma indicated. It feels a bit soapy in the mouth.

It makes me really wish the bottle of McCarthy's Bane was in the fridge.

3.4/5 caps

-Jennie

Wow, Jennie finally got to reviewing the beer... I'll focus mostly on the beer. BridgePort is out of Oregon, which we previously reviewed their India Pale Ale. This is only our second beer from them, as they are unobtainable in Ohio. This is a 7.5% ABV, 65 IBU red ale. Seriously, it is hard to use a mouse when there a gray tabby beast sitting there. Oh, she decided to try and take over the rest of the area in front of the monitor and lay on the mouse, randomly clicking it... I've now been involved in a 5 minute struggle with her going back to the same area, me putting her on the other side of the desk, and repeat actions. And now that the beer is severely warmed up, I've managed to get 3 inches of mouse movement (as she decided to sit on the mouse's cord). Apparently, I, as well, can't focus on the beer.

Regardless, there is beer to review. This pours a medium amber color, as stated. There's no head remaining, by the time I'm able to review this. The aroma is bready, caramel, toffee, pine and hints of rye like spice. Very malty smelling though. The flavor... sigh.... Picture your typical Irish Red style (caramel and toffee) but with slight more hops (citrus and some earthy/pine). There is a slightly weird taste on the backend that makes me question red ales again. After finding good red ales like Flying Dog's Lucky S.O.B., Oskar Blues G'Knight, Stone's Levitation, and of course, McCarthy's Bane, there are these sort of Red Ales that turn me away from the category. Mouthfeel is medium with decent carbonation, finishes dry.

3.4/5 caps

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment