Friday, July 5, 2013

Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Ah... Three Floyds. Is there anything you can do wrong? This is a 9.5% ABV, 100 IBU Imperial IPA beast that we obtained from a tasting/raffle at Aficionado 's in Polaris area. Thus far, we've not had a bad brew from them (Jinx Proof, Zombie Dust, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Rabbid Rabbit), and my expectations of this brew are very high.

This pours a slightly hazy amber/orange color with a small amount of white head that hangs around a bit. The aroma on this is strongly mango, with hints of citrus, caramel malt and some alcohol. The flavor on this is... Yup, you guessed it. HOPSUS BE PRAISED! There's grapefruit and tropical fruit combined on the front that leads to a slight caramel malt and toffee flavor, which fades damn near instantly, to a citrus zest bitterness that lingers slightly). Someone call Homeland Security, cause Dreadnaught just released a Weapon of Hop Destruction upon your tongue.This slides down the throat with a medium body, decent carbonation and a juicy, sticky feel. Nice sipping beer that drinks faster than it should. The alcohol is not noticed in the taste, but is noticed after drinking 11 oz of this. 11 ounces of sheer hoptastic bliss.

Shit.

My glass is empty. This isn't one of those optimism/pessimism "my glass is half full/half empty" things. No, in fact I mean, my glass is empty. Which irks me as this is a damn good brew. I'd go and sneak a couple sips out of Jennie's glass, but I have a lap Thatcher (17-year-old cat), and Lap Thatchy says I have to stay here and pet her.

Regardless, Three Floyds does not make a bad beer. They have lived up to my high hop(e)s. If/when you can find this, grab some, and savor this.

5/5 caps

-Nathan-

Today has been a wonderfully, blissfully lazy day. I think it's something the entire family has needed, including the kitties. Happy July 5 to us, indeed, even though we're a little later on starting the review process than we wanted. Let's see if this meets up with Nathan's excitement. And yes, his hand is still intact. If he had sneaked a couple of sips of mine, I would have cut off his hand. See, Thatcher always has had my back. That's my girl.

Yes, the aroma is heavy on the mango. Oh holy hell, I just took a sip and this is fanfuckingtastic. I was so distracted by the wondrous beauty that is this brew that I didn't even note what was happening other than sheer bliss. Let's try this again. I pick up mango, caramel, and possibly some white pepper in the nose. Whew. So far, so good. Drinking it, there is grapefruit, some mango (but less than the aroma), a little earthy note, some pine, cracker from the malts, and that white pepper is a little more prevalent on the back side. It's much sweeter than I expected. But it's good. I do pick up a bit of an alcohol bite in the aftertaste. Taking another drink, I am picking up a couple of different notes: one is grassy, and there's one I can't quite identify. I almost want to call it spruce or juniper, but that's not quite right.

Oops. I was totally going to be the best girlfriend ever and give Nathan the last couple of sips of mine. But then I chugged it trying to identify the note in the aftertaste. Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right???

5/5 caps

-Jennie



No comments:

Post a Comment