Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Schlafly Pale Ale

Schlafly, ah, yet another company we cannot obtain in Ohio. We first tasted them out in Peoria, January 2012. We had a pumpkin beer from them that I ranked up in my top 3 favorite pumpkins (other 2 being Flying Dog's The Fear and Southern Tier's Pumking). So, I was a little excited to find some more of their brews.

This isn't the typical style of Pale Ale we've gone for. This is more of an British Style Pale Ale, so we're opening our horizons, and your minds, all in one 12 ounce bottle. I would like to point out that while looking at this particular beer, some lady in Friar Tuck's was complaining that they are selling 'outdated beer' and we should 'check the dates.' Has she never heard of cellar aged beer? This, as a side note, was bottled 2 months ago today.

This pours a hazy copper color with a small amount of white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet, biscuity, and some slight hints of spice. The flavor is like a good lighter herbal tea. This has some sweetness with spice, earthy tones, and a slight hint of biscuit and an even lesser hint of something sour (almost like a lemon head, but it fades quickly). This drinks smooth and quick with a dry finish. Nice light body. Would be great on a summer day.

Not bad, not too familiar with British Pale Ales, though.

4/5 caps

-Nathan-

British-style, eh? That usually means more malt backbone and subtler hops. I can't lie, I'm a big fan of American hops. They're all in-your-face, like that drunk guy at the bar. The British hops tend to be more subtle and refined, like that drunk British guy at the bar. No, no, not the one with the Cockney accent, loudly cheering on Manchester United. More like the guy sitting in the corner of the pub, quaffing away while he accurately enunciates his Queen's English and pores over today's copy of the Financial Times.

I pick up some caramel and biscuit in the aroma, with a hint of sweetness and yes, some slight spice. It tastes just like it smells. Nathan described it well, although I'm not getting the light herbal tea. I'm picturing a warm summer evening in London. I want to hop on the next plane and go. Now. It's much lighter-bodied than I expected from a British-style pale ale. I kind of like the sucker punch of tartness on the back side of this; it's almost like a tannic red wine.

Honestly, it's one of the best British Pale Ale's I've had. I enjoy Schlafly, and look forward to trying more of their brews. This would be a fantastic accompaniment to a takeaway curry. Damn, I read too much British chick-lit.

4.15/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment