Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fat Head's Oompa Loompa

So, to continue the mocking of ourselves and our inability to obtain KBS, we move on to the other stout in the fridge, Fat Head's Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout. It sounds deelish. It's brewed with Belgian chocolate and Madagascar vanilla beans. I'm in. After Michigan's loss to Louisville, I'm going to need to assuage my sorrows. And my conscience for not watching the game.

It's a lovely deep brownish-black color with a pale khaki head. It smells heavenly... the chocolate and vanilla really come through. It reminds me of a 90% cacao Ghirardelli square in aroma. Wow, is this good. Indescribably smooth, it glides over my tongue like a really dark chocolate fondue. The Belgian dark chocolate is really noticeable in the taste, whereas the vanilla beans take a back seat, coming out later in the taste. It's a little thinner-bodied than I expected, but I'm okay with that, as I usually have to be in the mood for a heavy-bodied stout. Besides, cream stouts tend to be a little lighter-bodied.

Fat Head's has done another fantastic job in producing this beer. I'd be happy to keep it in my fridge to satisfy my chocolate cravings during a rousing bout of PMS. Or whenever I feel like a dark beer.

4.8/5 caps

-Jennie

Dislike on the name. You see, I had this ongoing story, nay, epic adventure back in middle school about how Ed McMahon hired Oompa Loompas to try and kill me. Great action, always ending with Ed McMahon escaping and yelling in the distance 'Yessir!' That opens you up into a little of my twisted creativity that begs to be released in one form or another. Maybe this beer is twisted creativity in a bottle. So with that, onto this brew.

This is a dark, opaque color, about as dark as my Ed McMahon/ Oompa Loompa anthology (I really have no idea what happened to those papers, but in nomadic times, you tend to lose items). The aroma is chocolate with hints of vanilla. The taste is... fuck me running. That's good. There are some dark roasted malts that add to the pleasantness of the chocolate. There are hints of vanilla toward the back. Smooth, lighter bodied, creamy mouthfeel.

Now I'm off to revisit memories of assassination attempts on my life by Ed McMahon as I watch Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson's perpetual rolling of a Reliant Robin (youtube it, it's hilarious).

4.75/5 caps

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment