Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stone/ Two Brothers/ Aleman Collaboration Dayman






A little history on this, before we begin (as Beer Geeks, like myself, love it). If you're not into the history of this, then skip this paragraph, but if you skip this paragraph, you'll miss out on an endless world of knowledge, possibly even the meaning of life. Well, not so much the meaning of life, but definitely some interesting facts about how this came to be. Aleman, which is a brewing collaborative based out of Chicago, won a homebrewing competition with a coffee IPA, blending Citra hops with the flavor of coffee. The competition was judged by Jason Ebel of Two Brothers, and Greg Koch of Stone. The prize of this homebrew competition was to do a collaboration with Stone. Two Brothers is roasting the coffee in this as well.

So, in case you decided to skip the last paragraph, dudes who won a homebrew competition, Two Brothers, and Stone. This is the first Stone Collaboration of the year, and an interesting fact, the first collaboration since the end of the Vertical series from Stone (which we'll try and do reviews on soon).

 I've been intrigued by this brew since first reading about it. I had an idea a couple years ago about doing a coffee IPA, thinking the bitterness of the coffee would go great with bitterness of the hops, and the roasted tones of coffee would go great with the roasted notes of the malt. I've had coffee porters and stouts, but never an IPA. They're all ales, it makes sense, so why not? Well, I hadn't started homebrewing by that point, in fact, this month will make a year. Still have yet to brew a coffee IPA, but other crazy ideas are pouring out (fyi, if you're going to brew a grapefruit hefe, make sure you strain the grapefruit out, as it's very pulpy and will get in the bottles). I've only seen one other coffee IPA, by Mikkeller, but I'm sorry, I'm not dropping $12 on a 11.2oz bottle, unless I'm already drunk or I hit the lottery. So the under $10 price tag for a bomber is much more manageable, even sober.

Some quick facts on this brew: 8.7%, 42 IBUs, brewed with Cascade and Citra hops.

This pours a beautiful crystal clear amber with a small amount of white head that does not linger. The aroma is, well, interesting to say the least. Fresh brewed coffee and citrusy notes take turns assaulting your olfactory senses, although I think after warming up a bit, the coffee takes the lead. The flavor, that I've longed to taste. Oh, how I've longed to taste this, but I seem to digress from the most important part of this review, the flavor, as I leave the reader dying in agony to know how this tastes, I, too, am dying while the anticipation builds. Huh... There is a wave up front of citrus and coffee that blends in a unique way, like nothing I've had. Like a tangled web of tropical fruit and coffee. It sounds weird, yes, but is rather pleasing. The rushing wave splits to where the coffee subsides and the hops take presence. The first wave subsides and gives way to some toasted malts, followed by bitterness and ending on a pleasant coffee note that lingers. It finishes dry, like a good wine. The sheer onslaught that is happening on my taste buds makes me inspired to paint the characteristics I can see in my head, that will sound absolutely bat shit crazy if I try to put it into words, so I'll leave it with that.

If you have the opportunity to pick this up, do so. This is an experience in a bottle.

5/5 caps

-Nathan

Really, Dad, you're going to doze off in your chair during the first five minutes of the game??? Don't get me wrong, you raised me to love hockey above all other sports (even football), but damn... to interrupt Commie Pinko night at the Kape-Shad Casa and barely get into the game before dozing off. At least the Jackets just tied it up. We're in a major hunt for the playoffs, just like the FBI is on a major hunt for KGB spies in my new favorite show. But I digress.

So on to the beer. I've listened to Nathan's ramblings about brewing a coffee IPA and how interesting that would be. I agree, but I couldn't work it out in my head. I've also tried to talk him into Mikkeller brews (Beer Geek Breakfast, anyone?), but I have to agree, they are a little overpriced for what they offer. The coffee aroma has really come out more since it's warmed. Fresh from the fridge, it was more citrus and pines, with a hint of coffee. Now that it's warmed to just about room temperature, the coffee comes out a lot more, to where it's almost overwhelmingly coffee with a hint of orange. Ever chase a glass of orange juice with a sip of coffee? What, you've never been that hung over? Try it sometime. It'll give you a hint of what this tastes like. And it's heavenly. Nathan's description is spot-on... and this is one of the most unique, interesting, tantalizing brews I've had. Period. It's so good that we're considering picking up another bottle tomorrow. Ever have one of those nights where, afterwards, you're trying to hide your feelings and you run to the bathroom to either fist pump or self-high-five (or both)? You can't wait to leave to gloat to yourself all next day and bask in your own glory, but you know you're going to miss the person who is making you feel that way? I totally did not just describe my first night with Nathan... or with Dayman.

One thing I loved about this was the cap, which our friend (and erstwhile cameraman and huge Stone fan) Zimmer should enjoy:
Subtle yet effective brag. Good for you, Greg Koch and crew! I totally need to have 5 minutes in the bathroom alone to self-high-five now.

5/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment