Monday, April 1, 2013

Magic Hat Hicu

This is part of the 2013 summer sampler from Magic Hat, the sampler that prompted me to prohibit Nathan from buying any more craft beer until we reviewed what we had in the fridge. It worked... this is still lurking in there. It's a cucumber and hibiscus ale, 4.2% in ABV, putting it firmly in the session category. Let's see if it's worth drinking in a session. With the name, of course, the crafty geniuses at Magic Hat have a haiku-writing contest for this beer. See if you can beat Nathan's entry here: http://www.magichat.net/elixirs/hicu/. 

It pours a pale straw color with a fluffy off-white head. The aroma is a little overwhelming... and it smells like cucumber-watermelon soap from Bath & Body Works. I can't stand the smell of that lotion/soap, so my heart drops a little. Hopefully it tastes better than it smells. OK, it tastes like it has fresh cucumber squeezed or mashed into it. It's like an earthy cucumber beer smoothie, with a light hint of the hibiscus coming in around the middle, and a bit of a vegetal finish. I love cucumbers (insert sophomoric joke here), but I don't know that I love this beer.The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and a little like soil.

I like the premise of this beer, so I had high hopes for it.We brew some kooky beers, after all. I mean, our most requested brew thus far is our lavender and chamomile IPA. And it's fantastic. It's part of why I'm attempting to grow some lavender this year (so far, I have two sproutlets, but it's still early days).

Overall, I think Magic Hat achieved what they strove for. Unfortunately, it's just not to my taste. I could see it being moderately refreshing on a hot day... but for days like that, I'd rather drink Left Hand's Good Juju (brewed with ginger).

3.67/5 caps

-Jennie

Apparently, we're the first to review this. There are no reviews on Ratebeer or Beer Advocate. Google search only found a press release. We're pioneers. But since it's beer, would it be piobeers? Never mind, that's a terrible pun. I need to drink more to get the wit going.

Jennie nailed it with the pail straw color and the fluffy head. The aroma to me reminds me of 21st Amendment's watermelon wheat with a bit of fresh cucumber. The flavor is ... huh... That's interesting. Cucumber front, hibiscus middle, cucumber toward the back, and ending with a faint hibiscus flavor. No real malt or hop tones here. Now, for those who haven't tasted hibiscus, it's almost like some lemon blended with some sort of berry flavor, slightly tart. The mouthfeel on this is medium feeling (due to carbonation), and leaves a faint earthiness after it slides down into your now happy belly.

I rather enjoy this. This is very unlike any brew I've had before, so points for the creativity, the flavor combinations, and the use of poetry for your marketing campaign to keep it extra unique. The only quarrel I have has nothing to do with the actual brew (coming back to the cold and unpredictable Ohio weather). Yes, I know, 'If you don't like Ohio's weather, why don't you move?" Well, my fine friend, I like the selection of beer we can obtain here, I like the local collegiate sporting events, and, well... No? Huh, I though I had a third point, apparently not. But also apparently, I reiterate, we're the first to review this. This makes me happy.

4.3/5 caps

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment