Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Uinta Hop Notch IPA




I'm not quite sure who I need to complain to, but I'm a tad miffed tonight. Tonight is sacred Commie Pinko Wednesday, a night where there is no hockey and we watch "The Americans" at 10:00. It's as religious an experience to me as going to mass on Sunday for most Catholics. The night this show premiered, Nathan and I checked the Blue Jackets schedule to make sure that there would be no hockey conflict. They simply didn't play on any Wednesday this season. Somewhere along the way, some douchebag either in Toronto or on the west coast decided to change the Blue Jackets schedule. Without consulting me. The audacity of some people!!! So, in lieu of getting my 1981 Moscow on, I'm stuck waiting for Phil to fall asleep and catching my show either on DVR or On Demand another night. Next time, NHL officials, all schedule changes must be run past me in advance. This includes playoff hockey. Thanks for your consideration.

So, instead of watching what will happen with Phillip and Elizabeth after the latest FBI agent has mysteriously died, we're reviewing beer. Sigh. And since Phil found out today that he doesn't have prostate cancer, I'm done complaining. For now. Maybe I should lace the bottle of wine we got for him to celebrate? Nah. So, here we are, I'm a little grumbly over the change of events for the evening, but I have a good beer in my hand. What the hell am I complaining about? Right. I forget, too. Uinta Hop Notch. Uinta is relatively new to Ohio and based out of Utah. Poor bastards. I've had my eye on this since it hit Columbus shelves.

It pours a lovely medium golden color with a moderate off-white head. It smells like grapefruit and orange and caramel. Ever have those Milk Maid Royals from Brach's, with the flavored creme inside the caramel? It reminds me of the orange flavor of those. Tastes kind of like one, too, which then fades into a dry, grapefruity finish, with maybe a hint of white pepper at the very very end. Damn, this is a really good beer. And now I'm really craving Royals. I used to be able to eat an entire bag in a sitting. I loved those things. This beer is very well-balanced with some malt flavors there to balance the hops. It's well-carbonated yet smooth in the mouth (that's what she said; I know, I know). This is one of the best-balanced IPA's I've had, and you don't notice the 7.3% ABV.

I look forward to this making a regular appearance in our fridge. And I look forward to trying more from Uinta. Now, if only I could pronounce the brewery name (I've been saying it as Yin-ta... anyone have any input on that?).

4.75/5 caps

-Jennie

Ah, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie. If you're unsure of how to pronounce a brewery's name, always go to that brewery's website and look for a FAQ area. According to Uinta's website:
"Uinta is a word derived from the Ute Indians, who once inhabited the area. It is pronounced "you-in-tah." Uinta Brewing Company was named after the Uinta mountain range located in northeastern Utah, the only major range facing East-West in the continental U.S."
 Now you look like a raging bag of ignorant anger (ignorant for the name, anger for, well, re-read the first couple paragraphs of this review).

After a long week at work, you realize "Shit. It's only Wednesday." So you're glad to come home and have something good in the fridge. The bottle has intrigued me since first being spotted on shelves. It's very classic-looking, simple artwork. Nothing crazy to drag your eye to it (aside from the name), but that's what drew my eye to it (being an artist and art appreciator). 

This pours a medium golden color, as previously stated. The aroma to me is mostly orange, with other citrusy notes playing second fiddle (yes, I went to a high school in the country where we had drive your tractor to school), with some sweeter caramel on the back. As Jennie stated, about like the little milk caramel chews. The taste is.... huh...smooth malty, almost caramel tones at the front, being overtaken by a pungent hoppy, citrus bite with an almost orangey flavor. After that, there is some bready notes, rounded out on the back by some more, almost orange zest sort of flavor. Finishes smooth, with very little sticky/resin on the mouth. Nicely balanced, definitely interested in trying more of Uinta's brews.

4.6/5 caps (little more malty than my own personal preference, but still good)

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment