Thursday, April 25, 2013

Knee Deep Brewing Co's McCarthy's Bane

I was a Russian major in college; I lived in Russia shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union. I have a deep-felt passion for all things Russian and Soviet. I still speak enough Russian to get me by, and I still have the occasional dream in Russian. We were recently perusing the Knee Deep selections at Savor, wanting to expand our horizons with them, and this just happened to jump into my hands. It's an Imperial Red Ale. I love the artwork and fonts used on this bottle, and despise everything that Joseph McCarthy stood for. I love the idea that I am drinking something that McCarthy stood against and would have hated if that xenophobic piece of shit were still alive. We saved this bottle specifically for tonight, Wednesday, my new favorite day of the week, termed Commie Pinko night in our house because the new television show "The Americans" is on FX in 14 minutes. I'm typing fast. That show is gripping and enthralling; if you haven't seen it yet, go get caught up on it as soon as you're done reading this. Elizabeth got in way over her head last week. It has surpassed "True Blood" and "Sons of Anarchy" to be my favorite current television show.

So, on to the beer. This pours a hazy deep garnet color with a light coffee-with-cream colored head. It's a lot paler than in the picture... our kitchen light was messing with my camera tonight. The aroma is heavenly... citrusy hops and a hint of caramel and some bready malts.

Fuck. I don't even really care for red ales, and this had to go and change my mind. They're usually too bland for my taste. This is anything but. You get a lovely mixture of cirtusy hops and bready malts mixing together on the front. There's also a hint of coffee right after that initial burst of yumminess. Then it finishes very dry, yet round on the tongue, with a last reminder from the hops that hey, we're not here to mess around. We're here to blow and change your mind about red ales, Jennie. This definitely drinks more like an IPA than a red ale.

I see why they named it so. It breaks stereotypes and typifications. It destroys the red ale genre much as McCarthy tried to destroy Americans with his unwarranted paranoia of the Cold War. And much as he destroyed the Pledge of Allegiance, by adding "under God" in 1954. Unlike McCarthy, this is sheer brilliance and depth of flavors.

5/5 caps

-Jennie

Wow, how do I follow that up? McCarthy wasn't a bad man, though, Jennie. He pretty much created a new witch hunt, but instead of witches, it was Commies. Wait... I guess that does fall under the category of bad. Huh, who knew?

But yes, this beer is a slightly hazy garnet color, with creamy head that sticks around. I'm surprised it doesn't have a hammer and sickle in the foam (Communism joke, hahaha). The aroma is... Sweet Hopsus (fictional religious character I should create)! There is heavy hops in the nose with a bit of spice from the rye they use. So, after taunting me for an hour (trying to review during the commercial breaks is hard for actually reviewing), I finally get to put this pint glass of amazing aroma up to my lips. After yet another break, this one for bathroom. Ah, sweet relief, onto the sweet nectar of  Hopsus to enter my mouth (seriously- going to work on Hopsus after doing this review). Huh... Damn it. This is a bold statement, but The Book of Hopsus claims that from here on out, all red ales shall be judged against this, whilest the unworthy red ales shall be cast back to the kettle they were brewed in. And now I have a lap Jazzy. She's a sweet grey tabby cat. But she's also distracting me from this religious experience that I've been longing for for over an hour. Hmm... Sorry cat, Beer wins.

The flavor hits with some citrus, followed by bready notes. There are hints of rye and almost a coffee tone toward the back, which is intriguing that after an hour of sitting at room temp, the flavors haven't dissipated from what my Priestess of Hopsus tasted (okay, I know, it's unfair of me to assume that she'll be the First Priestess of something when I haven't even asked her, or done the initiation rites, which will be drinking beer). The mouthfeel is dry, but there are some hints of stickiness, but not overwhelming.

After last night's debacle with the homicide of the Citra strain, this is a pleasant, nay, enjoyable and welcoming change of pace. Knee Deep has sealed their destiny as combatant for my favorite brewery. Knee Deep and Flying Dog, if you're both reading this- a collaboration between the two of you would be epic, especially if you can release it in Ohio. It would be beneficial for the both of you, as you both would gain distribution in places you normally wouldn't have, just saying.

5/5 caps

-Nathan

PS... Who, in fact, does release Knee Deep? Because if it's Premium, and I have a sneaking suspicion it is, then it's a win-win-win situation (one for each brewery and one for us, your loyal beer drinkers). Lap Jazzy is now contemplating her finagling of the beer closet, which she has opened by the sheer power of her little paws. Twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment