Sunday, March 31, 2013

Indigo Imp Winter Soul





And now we return to the States after taking a Belgian tour. As we are into Spring officially, I figured this will be our last winter seasonal that we'll review/get our hands on. Indigo Imp is out of the Cleveland area, and, last I knew, were self distributed (quote "some guy in a truck drives it down to Columbus"). They have a unique yeast strain they use, that's either love it or hate it. I know some of my peers don't care for it, others love it, so, as with any and all of our reviews, this is just our opinion and go experience this for yourself.

I made sure that I snagged the 'Impish' bottle (in every pack Indigo Imp releases, there is one that has the cap covered in wax, similar to some wine bottles or Maker's Mark). We opened the bottle, there was little to no 'pfizz' sound, it pours a beautiful deep amber, almost garnet color, zero head. The aroma is bizarre. There's some sweet malt, and some spices, but mostly it's like a cooked vegetable smell. Weird. The taste is sweet and sour. There's no real distinct flavor other than their yeast strain, which over powers everything in this brew. Maybe it's old to where the hops and cinnamon, that the label mentions, have toned down? I don't know. The mouthfeel is smooth with no carbonation. Not the most impressive selection from these guys, but then again, it might be a bad bottle (BA and Ratebeer had reviews from people that had 2 inches of head, so it might be a bad bottle). I'm picturing this more of a sour beer than a winter seasonal as of this point.

3/5 caps

-Nathan-

Michelle (my cousin) and her fiance, Dan, had a pint of Indigo Imp (variety not recalled) and described it as tasting like sauerkraut. I have never gotten that out of an Indigo Imp beer until now... and that's just in the aroma. Now mind you, sauerkraut is another food I detest, unless it's on Lexi's Reuben nachos. Then it's the bomb... but that's because whatever sauerkraut they use doesn't taste like sauerkraut. Honestly, my first reaction to this when I took a sip was, "Ew." Nathan's description is quite accurate. It's extraordinarily flat, and that sauerkraut thing really throws me off. I normally love everything that Indigo Imp does, so I'm a tad bewildered here. It's not quite a sour, even though they open ferment their beers. I'm guessing it's a bad bottle, or at least one that hasn't aged well at all.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to finish my portion. And I'm looking forward to the redImption, because really, most of their beers are fantastic.

2.25/5 caps, mostly because of the "Ew"

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment