Monday, May 20, 2013

Bell's Oberon

You know it's summer when Oberon hits the shelves. Or at least, it's right around Mother's Day. Oberon, beauty of all things summer. Sunshine in a bottle. Gateway to craft beer, at least for me. And yes, of course I have the Oberon glass from which to enjoy it. It makes me happy.

It's been hotter than my hot flashes can handle here the last few days. Not that that has stopped us before; Nathan buys me a mini-keg of the lovely stuff every year for my birthday in January (see picture below of the Oberon Corner in our house. I want to repaint that ugly rose to the Oberon sun). It's a nice midwinter reminder than sunshine and warmer days will be here before we know it. Alas, it's currently mid-May, and it's been in the mid- to upper-80s the last few days, with all the humidity to make it just uncomfortable enough not to hang outside too long. In other words, perfect Oberon weather. You see, Oberon is not only a delightful character in the Shakespeare classic "A Midsummer Night's Dream," it's also a lovely pale wheat ale from our brilliant brewers to the north. Michigan summers can be just as miserably hot and humid as the rest of the Midwest, and this is an ale designed to assuage summer's miseries. 

Pouring a medium golden color, clear with some chill haze, with a moderate white head, the aroma is very mild, reminiscent of mandarin oranges, wheat (surprisingly), and some Triscuit-y malts. See what I did there? Once you sip it, you know you need to be sitting outside in the sunshine, even if it's after midnight. There are citrusy flavors that come through initially, and some wheat, and some very vague spices that make me think of peppercorns. And there it is... that lovely peachy/apricot/light stone fruit flavor that somehow comes through in this that just makes me sigh, "Ahhhhh. Summer." The mouthfeel is interestingly creamy, and yet decently carbonated. This is my harbinger of the warmer months.

Let me wax profane for a little longer. This is the first American craft beer that I fell head over heels in love with. Sure, I'd dappled with the Pete's Wicked Ale and the Sam Adams Boston Lager, but this, this is what beer should taste like (at least to my novice palate). This is also what drew me to Bell's Brewery and made me want to peek inside Larry's head, just enough to nudge his old homebrew-day memories. Summer being my favorite season, I long felt that I needed a har-beer-ger. Let it also be known that I much prefer this out of a bottle than on tap or even poured into my beautiful matching pint glass. I think the fruit esters come out more in the bottle, and they get lost upon aeration.

Oh god, I've been hanging out with my dad too long. His puns have taken over. Time to sign this over to Nathan.

4.8/5 caps

-Jennie

I'm sleepy... So, Jennie's review is stunningly amazing. How do I add anything to this aside from the classic: That's what she said.

This beer is fantastic and it signifies summer. I won't go into long article, as I'm going off 4 hours of sleep and have to work tomorrow... woo hoo. Jennie's described this to a T though, that's all you need to know.

4.7/5 caps

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment