Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lagunitas Lucky 13



A 8.65% ABV, 76.92 IBU red ale? Well hell, a supper hoppy red ale does work (like Knee Deep's McCarthy's Bane) so let's see how this sets against the palate. Before you ask, no, I'm not being parsimonious by taking the lead on the 2 posts done tonight (this and Stone's Levitation), Jennie has simply opted to continue painting before the paint dries. Yes I said parsimonious because I know what it means, and because I can still spell it without the help of spell check, I need to drink more.

This pours red, like garnet, with some off white head that fades quickly. The aroma has a lot happening. Citrus, pine, some earthiness, spice, grapefruit, some tropical fruits, something dank, caramel, and I know I'm missing some. Each sniff gives off different tones, so it's hard to describe everything. The flavor on the other hand, leaves me wanting more. This is just a little bland for what's in the nose and what's described on the bottle.

From the side of the bottle:
From the first day of the first mash of the first recipe in the first space to this oasis 13 years on the road; We have worked hard to walk in the footsteps of our hero brewers. The Esteemed brewer of California’s best Pale Ale, the Noble Brewer of the planet’s only legal Steam Beer, and Oregon’s Rebel Brewer from Newport. Thirteen years down the road, we have found our own voice as brewers but our admiration for the Great Ones has not dimmed one bit. If we walked well down the hero’s path ourselves, perhaps we too have been an inspiration for others. Beer is a Bronze Age business and we feel honored to have left our footprints on its path into history, at the same time leaving our flavors on your buds. Thanks for your trust over the years and we hope you enjoy this specially brewed Hi-Gravity Auburn offering. Beer Speaks. People Mumble!

The flavor has some caramel flavor that fades into almost an apple like flavor that leaves some sweetness, then it just drops off, like a lemming off a cliff. There is a medium mouthfeel and this drinks like a 'put on your big boy pants, you ain't in Kansas no more' sort of beer, but it just leaves me longing for more depth in the flavor department. The mouthfeel is medium and there's some sweetness and resin left over in the mouth.

Not the best selection from Lagunitas, not the best red ale I've had (really wanting some McCarthy's Bane right now, but that in no way shape or form affects my judgement of this brew).

3.5/5 caps

-Nathan-

Dammit. Nathan had to go and bring up the category-killer, McCarthy's Bane, when we don't have any on hand. Sigh. Well, at least it's Wednesday, as I'm still going through withdrawals from "The Americans".

I find that the dank note has faded some since mine has warmed. Yes, I've been watching paint dry. I was due for a slow night after my child graduated from kindergarten today (I'm a very proud Peanut mommy!!!!). I also pick up the notes he mentioned in the nose. As I take a sip, I'm a little surprised at how sweet this is. And then yes, the flavor does just kind of die. It's kind of like eating something with ghost pepper in it, where the heat just fades away suddenly after torturing your tongue and singeing your nostrils for the past five minutes. Only this is much faster. It fades into oblivion, but then it kind of kicks back in with an earthy, caramel note, and long after you've swallowed your sip, you get hit with some piney hop bitterness, and that lingers on my tongue. After that, the resinous sweetness kicks back in. It's actually a rather interesting beer to me.

Maybe instead of watching the paint dry, I should start re-reading Anna Karenina. In Russian. Because I have it and because I can. Or maybe I should just finish my beer. Yeah, sounds like a great plan. It's been a roller-coaster of a day.

4.35/5 caps

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment