Sunday, May 12, 2013

Revolution Brewing Company Rosa

It's Mother's Day. Hopefully you have done something nice for your mom, because remember, you're the reason she drinks. It's been a lovely day here... Nathan and Dad and Peanut have all spoiled me rotten, despite the rampant exhaustion running through the family. One Mother's Day tradition in our house is to drink the first Oberon of the year... check. Maybe I should have started with that review, but was ready to change it up a bit after that first beer. I love the pink on the label, and I have yet to have a beer from Revolution Brewing that I don't thoroughly enjoy. This is a hibiscus ale, brewed with 12 pounds of hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel. After the fiasco that was Magic Hat's Hicu (at least in my opinion), I'm ready to redeem hibiscus as a valid brew ingredient. In theory, at least, this should be a beer that all moms love.

This pours a lovely pink grapefruit color with a pale pink head. It's almost too pretty to drink, much like Founder's Cerise. Hey, I'm a girl, I'm allowed to like pink beers! Almost, I said. I really want to taste this, though, so taste we shall. The nose on this is very mild, and it takes a couple of sniffs to detect faint malt, citrus, and a very vague floral presence. Huh, this is interesting. It almost drinks more like a lager than an ale. It starts off a little bready, then gives way to the orange peel and vague aromas of hibiscus, and it finishes dry with just the faintest hint of sweetness. I love that it's not like drinking perfume (see our reviews on Hicu and Rhizing Bines to recall how much I dislike my beer tasting like perfume). It's well-carbonated, and as mentioned, drinks more like a lager than an ale.

I'm enjoying this. It's subtle, unlike my platinum blonde hair. I'd love to have this on a hot summer day... I'm not much for mowing the lawn, but this would be great on the porch on a scorching summer night. I love that Revolution has nailed pretty much every style I've tried by them. And don't get me started on Anti-Hero... there's also a six-pack of that in the fridge. Yum.

Awwww, Nathan is painting a piece of art for me. I'm blushing the color of this beer. It's really pretty so far... kind of like this beer.

4.265/5 caps. Feeling kinda arbitrary.

-Jennie

Before we review this, I would like to point out, previously, on Jennie's Bday, we reviewed Anti-Hero, after having another one tonight, I don't think I rated it as high as it should be. It's a damn good IPA to where Hopsus should be praised.

Tonight's selection from Revolution Brewing brings us a hibiscus ale, Rosa. We picked this up the same day Savor got it in (along with sharing a couple cans). The pour is, as Jennie put, like a ruby red grapefruit. The nose is more prevalent after warming up some, but as my muse described. After warming up, there are more notes of hibiscus that are forward, slightly tart for a second, giving way to some bready tones and some slight orange. There are some floral tones in here as well that are faint throughout, but slowly raising toward the back end. Finishes dry with some hints of sweetness. I think the mouthfeel is rather smooth, well-carbonated. This is a great beer for the summer time, whether it's mowing, enjoying the night sky, enjoying good company, ah hell, who am I kidding? This is a great anything outdoor in the summertime beer.

A nice, mellow summertime brew, that hopefully has renewed Jennie's faith in hibiscus being in beer (yes. yes, we know- it doesn't fall into the guidelines of the Purity Law of 1516).

4.35/5 caps (tabs? As this is available in cans?)

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment