Saturday, May 11, 2013

Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit





Three Floyds is a well loved brewery. All their beers sell out as soon as they are put on shelves. We've reviewed two others (zombie dust and jinx proof) by them so far, with yet another selection sitting on the shelf, staring at me in anticipation of sliding down my soon-to-be-happy throat, lashing my taste buds with each exciting sip.With each beer I have from them, Three Floyds grows in my heart to where I will chase down released by them (much like we do with Founders, Flying Dog, Bells and most recently Knee Deep).

So, What is Rabbid Rabbit? It is a mutated giant green rabbit attacking a gnome wearing a jester hat. As I am a gnome sympathizer, I have an issue with this. Despite this, I, as a beer lover, can look past the label and look at the pint glass. This pours a hazy golden color, and it should as it's a saison. There is a small amount of white head that sits perfectly on top, much like the jester hat did on the gnome before being ferociously attacked by this green monstrosity that's on the bottle. Damn. This makes me the rabbit, as I will be annihilating this brew, sip by sip.

The aroma is earthy with some fresh dough-like tendencies to it. Some slight citrus notes that are taken-over by the previously mentioned attributes. And now for the best part- the tasting. This is nice and light, with come citrus, pepper, and hints of herbs to it. The more you sip, the more the peppery tones come out. There's some sweetness about it as well, but nowhere near cloyingly sweet. No, my friend, the sweetness adds just the right touch. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy, with some stickiness that dries out quickly. Light carbonation to add to the complexity of this brew.

We ended up purchasing this twice in one night from Palmer's. Our first bottle ended up going to a friend at Savor Market (as she wasn't going to be off work in time to get a bottle), the second bottle is this one. Yes, we are cool people like that who like to share good beer with good people. But at the same time, our bar hopping has turned into beer market hopping. Oh well, beer market hopping gives you the opportunity to get great beers and meet great people, actually remember their names, and make lasting impacts without dancing on a bar table while singing karaoke.

We've not reviewed many saisons, but this is good. Will be hunting down some more of this when it's available.

4.8/5 caps

-Nathan-

Oh, how the mighty have fallen... Those were the words out of my mouth as we climbed out of the car at Savor tonight, having already been to Palmer's for said other Three Floyds' offering. From dancing on tables while singing karaoke, to doing the Indianola Ave. rare-beer market crawl. And to think, this is now what makes us (or at least me) happiest on a Friday night. Sigh. And it's Mother's Day weekend, so I feel a little guilty bitching about the travails of motherhood.

Ooooh. Nathan described this beer very well. Somewhere towards the back of the first sip I got hit with a sack of oranges. On the tongue, not upside the head. Thank goodness. Although I'd probably deserve it. My, this is pretty fandamntastic... I'm in love with the entire beer. They use a lovely yeast strain, and there's chamomile in here to smooth it out, and the black pepper kick is oh-so-tasty. And the black pepper lingers on the tongue, tickling long after the beer has slid down my throat. I can't really add much more, as Nathan's description was spot-on.

I've only had one other beer with black pepper in it, and I liked it. The saison works really well with black pepper in it, even though it's not overly farmhouse-y. I'm fine with that, as sometimes that farmhouse funk can be a little off-putting to me, and I don't know how it would go with the peppery note here.

I have to agree, Three Floyds does some amazing stuff. Their cult following is well-deserved. I'm really enjoying this beer, and look forward to the next one I try from them.

4.8/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment