Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ithaca Flower Power





So, after a disappointment in this year's Lake Erie Monster, I still find myself craving, nay, NEEDING a good IPA. Maybe I've become spoiled on the IPAs I can't find anymore (Anti-Hero, Simtra, Enjoy By, Arctic Panzer Wolf), but regardless, I need HOPS! OH SWEET HOPSUS, WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU SO THAT YOU SHUN ME?! I even brought you a new follower in the form of Malty the Monkey! Is Trollie needing to appear more for your approval?!

Regardless, tonight's hop-venture brings us to Ithaca's Flower Power. I thought we've done a review on Ithaca before, but apparently not (going through our own personal records). Huh. So, clearly Ithaca Beer Co. is out of, you guessed it, Ithaca, NY.  They've been making beer since '97, and this one has the following awards:
2008- Silver Medal, Best Craft Beer in NY
2008- Final Four- National IPA Championship
2011- Final Four- National IPA Championship
2012- Final Four- National IPA Championship

So according to their website, this is 7.5% ABV, brewed with Simcoe, Chinook, Citra, Ahtanum, Centennial and dry hopped with Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial. Yes, this might be the one to give me my fix for the time being.

The pour on this is a nice yellowy amber with some white head that sticks around. The aroma is grapefruit, pineapple,with hints of pine and some grass, with some honey thrown in for a little added mindfuck on the olfactory area. Oh yes, please Hopsus, do not let me down. The first sip AH! this might suffice. The flavor profile on this is something else. There's grapefruit, honey, pineapple... pretty much what you get in the nose, but with some added bitterness and bite. This drinks smooth and before I know it, half the pint glass is gone. Ok, I lied, 3/4 gone. The finish is a little dry with some resin. This is very smooth drinking. Shit. It's gone. There's 4 more left in the fridge though... With that I should turn it over to my female counterpart.

4.8/5 caps (only cause I think it could just a tad bit more bite, but this will quench my hop-quest until tomorrow)

-Nathan-

I know the craving. You know, that feeling where you have to have whatever it is you need. Now. Right now. Not five minutes from now, but now. Mine usually tends toward the chocolate or, like today at about 6:00, generic beer. Any beer. These kids are driving me nuts, so let me have a beer before I snap.Earlier in the week it was Bell's Smitten. And an ongoing one that I am still seeking to squelch is for a Mars Bar. Goddamn, I can't find one to save my life. Last summer, it was an intense, required craving for Double Stuf Oreos. Not regular, skinny Oreos, not store brand, had to be Nabisco's demonic goodness. I get it, Nathan. I really do. And I still really appreciate you indulging my craving that night.

And before you ask, no, I'm not pregnant. I wouldn't be drinking beer if I were. I am a human, though, and sometimes cravings happen.

He described the beer quite well. Since mine has had some significant time to warm to room temperature, I am picking up a little more floral notes in the flavor (not as much the aroma), but it's a fine blend of piney, citrusy, and floral. It's not a beer that is so perfume-y I feel like I just walked into the makeup department at Macy's. The floral notes come out more on the back half of the tasting. It's very pleasant. It is a little more mild than I remember, but I'm ok with that.

Clearly, we'll be on a mission for Stone IPA, Bell's Two-Hearted, or some DIPA tomorrow. Wish us luck.

4.75/5 caps

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment