Thursday, January 31, 2013

21st Amendment Sneak Attack

This is 21st Amendment's latest seasonal offering. I've been eying it since I saw it on the shelves. I have really enjoyed saisons over the last year, and 21st Amendment usually puts out a decent brew. The can declares that it is a farmhouse ale brewed with cardamom.

This pours a light golden color with a very light head that quickly dissipates. The cardamom really comes through in the nose. It smells like a typical farmhouse ale, a style that I'm hit or miss with, depending on the yeast used (and yet, I typically like saisons... go figure). As a side note, one of my goals for this year is to develop my palate for Belgian yeasts, some of which I find a little off-putting. It's a crisp beer, with the cardamom coming through at each stage. It's smooth, almost as if there were some wheat in it (although, unlike Nathan, I am not reminded of Blue Moon, which I don't care for). The finish on it reminds me of a dry cider, which I rather enjoy. It has a solid structure, fairly well-balanced and not too malty or hoppy. Not too sweet, not too dry. As I work my way through the brew, I find myself wanting more, which is a good sign, right?

Hmmmm.... cardamom cider. Maybe a homebrew experiment to come.

4/5 caps

-Jennie



Jennie's been interested in this brew for a while. We finally obtained some in the Mixed 6 Du Jour. 21st Amendment's site says this:
"You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn't expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say."
How true. Ohio weather decided to bless us the past couple days with record setting highs of 67 and 65 degrees, then today was single-digit wind chill and icy roads. Not really what I think is Saison weather, but at 6.2% ABV, might as well.

The aroma is like Blue Moon, only in the sense that the cardamom comes through. The color is a nice light golden color, the typical farmhouse-Saison color, as it should be. The flavor profile is interesting. It's spicy with the cardamom and Belgian yeast strain, slight malt tones, not overly hoppy. It also brings Blue Moon to mind, only better. Nothing too impressive on this bitterly cold night. It was worth trying it though, as 21st Amendment puts out amazing brews, all in can form.

3.5/5 caps

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment