Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lost Coast Indica

First off, love the label. Sort of Picasso-like portrait of Ganesha (Hindu God). The color is a hazy orange, but the aroma... Oh the aroma. I could live in a solitary confinement for the rest of my life as long as it smelled like this. Very hop forward, piney with a little bit of sweetness. Then you get the taste. Piney, citrus. There is some sticky hop resin, but overall a lighter mouthfeel that's smooth drinking. This is a good IPA.  the 6.5% ABV isn't noticed, but what is noticed are the hops. Lost Coast's website says the following:
"Indica is a hoppy, full-bodied ale. It has a higher than average alcohol content balanced by radical bittering from Columbus hops, then dry hopped with generous amounts of Willamette and Centennial hop flowers."
This is what I need on a cold winter night. Hops, and copious amounts of them. The more hop characteristics, the better. Hm.... We still have Three Frogs IPA to review, and a Hopslam in the fridge.

I've had this before, and yet, I still find it's a great beer, though, not a front runner in my favorite IPA category (thank you Flying Dog single hop series for dominating the top 2 spots). The only thing that keeps this from being a perfect 5 is this is lacking something, which I cannot put my finger on at this point.

4/5 caps

Nathan

This is a hop bomb. In your face pine notes and some citrus abound. We've found it on tap at a couple of neighborhood bars, always under a custom label. It's good... I think what it lacks is a bit of structure. There's very little malt backbone to this brew. Not quite as little as, say, Lagunitas Daytime IPA, but I find it relatively unbalanced. But if you're craving hops, it provides plenty.

3.5/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment