Saturday, January 5, 2013

RJ Rockers Patriot Pale Ale

RJ Rockers is a brewery out of Spartanburg, South Carolina, that is relatively new to the distribution channels in Ohio. BeerAdvocate puts the ABV at 6%. The label says it's heavily dosed with Challenger and Cascade hops. Nathan isn't a big fan of Cascade, whereas I don't mind that hop strain.

The beer pours a pale, hazy orange color, with an off-white head that is thin and doesn't stick around long. I get some bready malts and mild hops in the nose. It has a soft, round mouthfeel, a little fuller-bodied than I expected. The initial taste is again mild citrusy hops, a solid pale ale. The aftertaste, however, I find a little tinny and almost -- not quite -- skunky. There's also a sharp finish that I can't quite place. I'd chalk it up to perhaps an off batch, but most of the reviews on BeerAdvocate indicated similar findings.

All in all, I'm a little disappointed. It has several disparate, discrete parts that just don't jive well, in my book. I enjoy a good American pale ale, and the aftertaste on this is enough to turn me off. If I weren't sharing this 12-ounce beer, I'd be tempted to feed it to my garbage disposal.

2.5/5 caps

-Jennie

I get some earthy tones from the hops in the taste, not quite as Cascade-y (is that a word?) than I expected. Although the mouthfeel is weird. I get a lighter body, myself, with an almost stickiness to it. Definite tinny aftertaste, reminiscent of Phin and Matt's from Southern Tier (see previous posts about my opinion of that). Jennie, I'm sorry, I was expecting more out of this beer. At least we can say we tried it.

reluctant 2.5/5 caps

-Nathan

Nathan, I love you for picking out beers. We're pretty adventurous when it comes to beer, and every now and then, you can't have every beer be a winner. If we did, Keystone would taste a lot better. Which is what the aftertaste on this reminds me of.

-Jennie

Final side note from me- chugging the rest of this doesn't help or lessen the aftertaste.... It's lingering a bit more now, making me wonder if I drop the rating again....

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment