Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hinterland's Door County Cherry Wheat

Ah, Hinterland. A fast riser among my favorite breweries, I discovered them this past spring and summer, enjoying their Maple Bock, IPA, Cherry Wheat, and Luna Coffee Stout, all for cheap for a pint bottle. They are based out of Wisconsin, and I look forward to trying more of their brews. It weighs in at 5.4% ABV.


The head on this was pretty significant, as we poured it into our two pint glasses. It dissipated fairly quickly, though, and had good lacing. It was off-white in color, contrasting with the hazy orange of the beer itself. Let me also state before I taste this that cherry is not one of my favorite fruits, although I have fallen madly in love with Founder's Cerise. Since this is a wheat beer, I have no expectation that this is like Cerise... but then again, I've also had this beer before. And yes, beer snobs, I enjoy fruit beers thoroughly. Sorry to disappoint you. Or not... they're my taste buds, after all.

The nose on this brew is pure sour cherries, to me. Interesting and not repulsive at all. It has all the smoothness I would expect from a wheat beer, with a significant sour cherry note that doesn't overwhelm, but fully complements the bready malts and the moderate hop flavors. It's really good. Sam Adams, eat your heart out... Hinterland has done it way better than you have. I also get a little alcohol note in the aroma and foreground, but with a relatively light ABV, I find that surprising.

4/5 caps

-Jennie

I will note that this has an amazing cherry flavor. Not like a cough-medicine fake cherry flavor. More like going to an orchard and picking fresh cherries (but, like Jennie said, not overwhelming). It's a fantastic brew from a brewery that I know little about, history-wise. I should change this as we have yet to have a bad brew from them (future episode idea?).

4/5 caps

-Nathan

Agreed, Nathan... I have been afraid of many cherry beers because I find many cherry-flavored things to be medicinal tasting. Not beer. Cerise, Bell's Cherry Stout, North Peak's Darkangel, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and this... all great examples of quality northern cherries that taste like they're fresh-picked.

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment