Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mt. Carmel IPA

Mt. Carmel is out of Cincinnati, Ohio, and so far, I've generally enjoyed their brews. This is a variety I don't think I've tried. BeerAdvocate lists this as 7% ABV.

A medium orange color, with off-white head that is thin and lacy, this beer is neither hazy nor clear. That is meant to mess with you optimists. I pick up some pine in the nose, usually coming from the Centennial or Simcoe hop strains. I also get a little citrus fruit in there, almost a grapefruit scent on the nose. It's well-balanced, with the same notes coming through in the flavor. There's almost a pine resin note to the quaff that has me a little off. It's well-carbonated, fairly light-bodied in the mouthfeel. And damn, there's that metallic aftertaste again. But not as offensive as in the Patriot Pale Ale. I ate a couple of crackers before tasting this beer to cleanse my palate... Rosemary Triscuits, Official Palate Cleansers of Behind The Tap. With natural flavor and other natural flavor. True story; read the label.

Overall, this is a decent brew, brimming with mediocrity. I had hoped for more. It's not that much hoppier than the pale ales we've had so far tonight. If I were to base my opinion of southern Ohio breweries on tonight's offerings, I might be convinced that the Ohio River tastes like shit. Wait, it does... don't ask how I know that. But brewers, maybe you should treat your water before brewing. Just a thought.

3.25/5 caps

-Jennie

Wow, Jennie... Little bitter tonight (like 3 ounces of Simcoe added at 60 minutes to a 5 gallon batch of homebrew)? Please do note that Cinci does have Rivertown, which puts out great brews (their pumpkin ale is probably my favorite of the pumpkin beers, their Roebling is awesome, and Hop Bomber is a great slightly-hoppy brew).

Anywho- back to the review. This brew... yeah... Piney taste with weird metallic aftertaste. I know we're known as part of the Rust Belt, but does it have to taste like it with the metallic taste?

Nothing really more I can add to this.

3.3/5 caps

-Nathan-

I have to also give mad props to Moerlein out of Cincinnati. They're making fantastic beers that don't taste like I just licked the rusted wheel well of a 1978 Cadillac. I also enjoy Rivertown; their Pumpkin was a huge hit at our house around Halloween, and the Roebling... just yum. But I've not been that impressed with what I've had from Mt. Carmel. They're not a bad brewery, by any means, but I haven't been blown away by anything I've had from them.

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment