Saturday, January 19, 2013

Magic Hat Pistil

Magic Hat. Brilliant company that we suspect has a witchy vibe to them (i.e. Elder Betty's description on the six-pack holder). Haven't really had any brews from them that I haven't enjoyed. Even though they're more widely distributed than most, they still put out a fantastic product.

The color is light, hazy yellow.  Very light, solid white head. The aroma is sweeter, like grassy and straw tones. It reminds me of living in the country for some reason... not exactly sure why, it just does. First sip- sweeter, with earthy, flowery tones (probably because it's brewed with dandelion petals). Slight hop tinge toward the back. Finishes nice, crisp and clean. Great beer that we thought was just a seasonal brew. It lacks something to me, that I can't place my finger on, and that is the only reason it's getting a 4.3/5 rating. I could speculate for hours on what it could be, but it doesn't solve the issue. Still love Magic Hat (bring back the Odd Notion ginger beer you had a couple years ago!).

4.3/5 caps

-Nathan-

It smells like freshly mowed grass in early June. And yet it's set against a solid American Pale Ale backbone. I'd suggest letting it warm up at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before drinking -- the hops really come out when it's warmer. It was a perfect mid-afternoon beer, and yet, I'm a little disappointed now, too, that we've had some dinner and time to absorb the good and bad brews consumed today. 

We first had this last summer as part of Magic Hat's summer mixed sampler. It blew us away. It also contained the Elder Betty, which was fantastic. I think I actually squealed when I saw an entire sixer of it at Savor today. It was a touch better fresh. 

We usually let Phil, my dad, at least taste some of the more unusual brews we try. He's a self-avowed wine guy... loves a dry red and has at least a glass or two nightly. In fact, before my cognitive memory kicked in, he used to brew wine. Dandelion wine, especially. He loved the Simtra. He loves a good stout. His reaction to this: it's good, but I preferred [the Simtra]. Mind you, he's also 2 or 3 CC-and-gingers in. Because that's how Phil rolls. I mean, the NHL was back tonight... we expected nothing less of him than to celebrate. Thoroughly. Awesome win by the Jackets tonight in an exciting shootout, by the way.

4.17/5 caps -- only because I can't decide between 4 and 4.5

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment