Saturday, January 19, 2013

Genesee Cream Ale



Note: this is not our photo. This was taken from http://www.artzberger.com/BeerCans/newcans/canpics/GeneseeCreamAle16oz0612.JPG as we did not take a picture of the can before recycling it.

Genesee Cream Ale. 5.1% ABV served out of a can. 99 cents a can. Hmmm... Can't be that bad, can it?

Upon first look, it's a light golden ale. Completely clean, as in no sediment. Decent head on it. The aroma is... um... how do I word this nicely. Like a sweet concoction of almost apple juice.

The taste isn't much better. It tastes like apple juice with some coffee creamer added. This is pretty bad. I prefer malt liquor to this. The best thing I can say about this is I'm not dumping it down the drain (even though I have 3 more beers to review tonight). Third and fourth sips aren't any better. I get no flavors of hops or malt, just all adjunct BS with coffee creamer.

I'm going to just chug this so I can get it over with. I wouldn't even recommend beer pong with this.  figured since these are the same people that make Dundee, that this would at least be a drinkable beer.... questionable. Still better than Bud Chilada.

Also note: I am eating stale Skittles to get the taste out of my mouth.

1/5 caps

-Nathan-

I had to look up exactly what comprised a cream ale. Apparently it's a top-fermenting ale to which bottom-fermenting lager yeasts are added. And often, adjuncts, such as corn or rice, as with most American mass-produced swill. Huh. Interesting. It's pretty much this and Little Kings for the mass market of cream ales.

I laughed my ass off when Nathan came home with this. I don't think I've had this since some long-forgotten New Year's Eve party when I was still in junior high. Without giving the cow away, let's just say we also watched some very early Letterman that night. You know, back when he was still funny (sorry, Sid. He lost funny about the time he hired you full-time). And no, my dad doesn't know I was drinking that night, so let's just not tell him, okay?

Back to the beer. The aroma reminds me of King Cobra, for some reason. Before I turn it into brass monkey. Monkify it, if you will. Now, of course, you'll need to cue up some Beastie Boys... and go.

There is an apple juice quality to it... I'll give Nathan that. It's honestly not that bad, I don't think. Pretty damn drinkable. It has won many years and many medals at the Great American Beer Festival, although none since 2005. I find the creamy quality to come out on the back side. It's smoother than my 5-year-old's bottom. It's almost like they added talcum powder to round out the mouthfeel. I'm starting to wonder why I shunned this for so long. I think I might describe it as eminently palatable. Really not terrible at all. I wouldn't have too much problem putting this on my really broke go-to list.

But that's just me.

2.5/5 caps

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment