Friday, February 1, 2013

Elevator Three Frogs IPA

Jimmy, this one's for you.





Elevator Brewing is pretty close to our hearts, as we filmed our pilot episode there. And yes, there's allegedly a trailer coming soon. We know, we know. Great crew, great brews. A Columbus gem, if you ask me, and the brewpub (or Draught House, as they call it)... oh so beautiful. This particular brew is their IPA, and it's a good go-to if you're a hophead in Columbus (because they self-distribute, it's hard to find outside of Cowtown).

It pours a medium orange color, moderately hazy, with an off-white head that quickly dissipates. The nose reminds me of orange blossoms. The initial sip is citrusy with some pine in the background, and honey. There's a lovely malt backbone that doesn't overwhelm yet balances perfectly with the hoppiness. Grapefruit really comes through on the finish. It's very well-balanced, with a touch of stickiness.

A solid offering from a local brewery... check it out, if you're not already a fan!

4/5 caps

-Jennie

This is Jimmy's favorite beer. Jimmy is a good friend/ integral part of my drinking team of legal friends, or legal team of drinking friends, however you want to look at it. And we have love for Elevator. Dick (owner) is an amazing guy with a hell of a vision artistically (he designs the labels) and Vic is a hell of a brewer. I have yet to have a selection from them that disappointed me. Elevator's Dark Horse was one of two beers that got me into the craft scene, so I'll always have a special place for them.

The color is a beautiful orange, it leaves beautiful lacing.  The smell is what gets me though, at least from the get go. Citrus and malt notes. The taste. Oh yeah, the taste. Citrusy, piney, malty perfection. It's a great mouthfeel, with some sticky resin from the hops, but finishing slightly dry and leaving you wanting more of the hops. This is one of many reasons I'm glad/ proud of where I live (another being The Ohio State University). I cannot wait to try this brew, amped up with hot peppers for the Fiery Fest at North Market (Feb 16th and 17th).

At 7.6% ABV, this one will kick you in your genitals, but you won't feel it, 'cause you'll be pleasantly buzzed. But the alcohol notes do not come through. This is just a fantastic brew from a fantastic local brewery. The only thing I regret is that I don't have better pictures of Elevator's ceiling at the Draught House.

4.5/5

-Nathan


Note: below are pictures from their stunning Draught House's ceiling




No comments:

Post a Comment