Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bell's Sparkling


Nathan and I were doing our usual assorted Saturday afternoon errands: mostly brewing supplies and grocery shopping, as we plan to brew some beer tomorrow. We were prowling around Clintonville, and decided to stop at Savor, even though we have a fridge full of beer. Boy, am I glad we did... they recently put in a growler station, and Rin was pouring several lovely beers for you to take home and enjoy. I perused the tap list while Nathan was exploring the bomber selection, and wait, what is that??? Is that what I think it is? Bell's Sparkling? Hell yes! I've yet to enjoy this lovely Belgian tripel offering from Bell's, which is nigh made of that rare substance, unobtainium.

Of course, we picked up a growler, because I wheedled, cajoled, and flat out begged.

Nathan rules. This is one of the many reasons I'm with him.

So, does it stack up to the legends and myths? Let's find out. It pours a light orange color, hazy, with a lovely white head that leaves a beautiful lacing on the glass. The nose is citrusy and smells faintly of the esters in a farmhouse ale, along with a faint tinge of pepper. The taste is orange, banana, clove, some pepper mid-taste, and fading into the mildest back end I've had in awhile. The malts come through on the back end, and there are little to no discernible hop flavors. But the lovely part is that is comes back a little bit after you swallow (yes yes, that is, in fact, what she said), and I can do nothing but smile after I've consumed a drink. The mouthfeel is almost feels like you are eating a banana... very smooth and soft.

This weighs in at 9% ABV, but unless you looked it up, you wouldn't know it. It has no alcohol bite, and not nearly as much as you would expect from such a big beer.

Now that I'm 2/3 through my first pint, I'm picking up pear and green apple in it. I also got a bit of sediment in the last sip. It's really good. I love that Bell's has not only mastered the American ales and stouts, but also nailed the Belgian tripel. This is really fantastic.

4.9/5 caps

-Jennie

This is a harder to find brew from a fantastic brewery. I've had this one previously, while at St James Tavern on 4th. I remember it was an officers meeting for the beer club I was co-founder/VP/member of, I had never heard of Bell's Sparkling, so I had to try it. I remember it was nice and bubbly, like a craft beer champagne. Unfortunately, Jennie was unable to attend that, and we haven't had the opportunity to enjoy it together. That was around Sept to Oct of 2011. We've seen it advertised at a couple tastings, but we were unable to attend the tastings. Not sure how Rin pulled this off, but kudos.

This pours a hazy light golden orange with a decent amount of head that sticks around. The aroma to me is hefe yeast strain to the Nth fold. There's your banana, clove, some black pepper, and I think I catch a bit of citrus in there. The taste is a delicious fruit cocktail that's heavy in the banana. All the notes you get in the smell, comes out in the taste, with some added additional fruits (I think Jennie nailed it with stating 'pear and green apple') A nice medium, velvety mouthfeel that coats your mouth and your throat in delicious bliss as it leaves the glass and enters your life.

Jennie pretty much nailed it and I'm just reiterating what she said. This is a fantastic tripel. Find some of this if you can. This will turn you into a tripel fan.

And side note Jennie- This puts Bell's up by one, need to do another Dog here soon.

4.8/5 caps

-Nathan-

Yes, dear. -Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment