Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Neil House The Harbinger

This is another selection from the now-defunct Neil House Brewery in Columbus. We were first  introduced to this beer at an industry beer tasting through Superior Beverage, their distributor. This is billed as a double rye pale ale and weighs in at a hefty 10% ABV and over 200 IBU's.

You should start a pool now with those around you for how we're going to rate this. Hint: we're both unabashed hopheads. IBU's are International Bittering Units, the scale used to measure how hoppy a beer is. According to one source we read a little over a year ago, your mouth can't tell the difference once you pass 100 IBU's. I don't recall the source, or I'd cite it. And I may have to raise the bullshit flag on that, but let's get into this beer and see how hoppy we can take it.

This pours an opaque deep golden color with an off-white head. As is common with Neil House brews, this one is a bit over-carbonated, but it didn't overflow. It gave about two inches of head (that's what she said) that leaves a lovely lacing on the glass. Surprising for the alcohol content, the head sticks around, and doesn't leave noticeable alcohol legs on the glass. And speaking of the glass, yes, this should be in a tulip, but eh, the dishwasher was already running when we poured this, and I didn't feel like dirtying another glass. In the nose I pick up some stone fruit, vague tropical fruit, and bready malts. The nose is very mild, though, despite that description. When I sip it, though, I get some orange and some vodka-soaked pineapple that hits the back of my nose, and I'm not sure what else. This is a very confusing beer to me, and nothing like I recall at the tasting. You can definitely taste the alcohol bite on the finish. It's also not nearly as hoppy as I remember, nor as hoppy as I would expect for something that claims to have 200 IBU's.

It's so confusing, I looked at Nathan and asked if we maybe got their Buckeye Roots Hefeweizen instead of The Harbinger. It looks like a hefe and is fruity like a hefe. It is definitely a pale ale, though. Perhaps this has been sitting on the shelf too long and the hops died out... Nathan claims he has seen this bottle at Wine & Brew Emporium for nearly a year.

It's still a good beer, but it doesn't evoke that love at first sip that we both had at the tasting.

Just a warning: start reading this in a Boston accent. You'll need it for Nathan's review. He'd love to drink The Hahbingah while sitting at the hahbah.

3.95/5 caps

-Jennie

"Had this at a special tasting from Superior Beverage's Craft and Import Expo. The brew master had stepped away, so I didn't have an opportunity to discuss with him. The description on the checklist we had claims it is "a 200ibu beast backed by dry, spicy character of rye". That is a semi-accurate description. I didn't catch the rye as much. Picture Red Rye P.A. from Founders, but much more hoppy. One of the best Rye IPAs I've had"

That was my posting on beer advocate, 12/26/2011, shortly after the tasting. I gave it a 4.75/5 then, I wonder how it will sync up now.

"The shifting leaves of the fall season speak of change. The comforting ruminants of the summer slowly give way as a crisp breeze chills the air, portending the coming harshness an snow that winter annually promises. As the sun sets, and the moon rises, the nights grow colder, breeding shadows in the darkness. Following the last harvest, The Harbinger sinks is wintry talons into the earth of the abandoned fields, where wolves stalk the empty meadows of rye. Out of this landscape, The Harbinger was born.... This double rye pale ale is a beast: At well over 200 IBUS and with a ferocious ABV, backed by the dry, spicy characters of the rye, it will sink it’s teeth in and not let go. Soon enough, you will realize that the harbinger is a beer that really has a bite."

That is the description on the bottle. Sounds enticing, doesn't it?

The pour is, as Jennie said, an opaque golden. I'd throw in the description of murky golden orange. The nose is interesting. Fruit, bready tones from the malt, and some slight earthy tones. Not kicking you in the ass with aroma, though. The taste is.... um... confusing. Definite alcohol kick to this. There are heavy malt tones, biscuity and very caramel heavy. The rye does not come through, nor do a lot of the hops. As Jennie stated, it could be from this being older, the hop tones and characteristics could have possibly died out some. Each sip is intriguing though, as I pick up different flavors out of each sip. Some, I've picked up straight earthy tones, others I've picked up muddled caramel and alcohol, at times it's fruity, and a couple I've had some sour tones to this. It might be because this is older, but this is so bizarre with the different flavors. This is also bizarre trying to keep 4 cats from stepping on a painting that I did, while it's drying. Thatcher, I love you, but leave it be, no one needs darker, almost navy, blue paint in your pretty fur (or tracked all the way around the house and in our bed). We should really invest in an upright easel. In due time, in due time. I seem to be digressing from this review.

This is mostly gone now, and yet the murky color still remains. It has not cleared up one bit, but then again, Letterman lost his humor years ago, so it is what it is. There are certain things in this world that should be enjoyed when it's fresh, Letterman and the Harbinger are two of them. I definitely preferred this being fresh (Superior tasting), but at the same bad, this isn't terrible. I wouldn't call it, per se, an imperial rye ale, more like an experimental hopped-up barleywine at this point. Reason I say hopped up is now that there's about 2 finger's width in the pint glass, the hops are coming out. Jennie thinks there are hefe tones in this, and I can see that, but at the same time, it isn't terrible.

Definitely a brew to be enjoyed fresh, but unfortunately, if you didn't get the opportunity, it will never happen. So sad to see Neil House go under. Upcoming will be a review on their fabled cranberry cider.

4/5 caps

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment