Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute






So, we have this six-pack (OK, well, five of them are left) of beers in the refrigerator that we've now had for a couple of weeks, with the intent of reviewing them. Life happens blah blah, and it hasn't happened thus far, and yet we're killing a twelve-pack of PBR or Burger daily. Being the nagging, persistent girlfriend I am, I put my foot down on buying any more "everyday" beer and particularly more beer for review until we at least drink a few of them before the hops die. Mind you, this is in the middle of the third visit from maintenance to fix our toilet today. I really could go for a beer right about now. I'm sure the maintenance guy could, too, but until he fixes it right, I'm not going to offer him one. So let's get to it.

Bloggus interruptus. I just got called away to assist Nathan with boiling some hops and honey together to add to the fermenter for the beer we're brewing (Alpha 3.0, our Simcoe-and-Citra imperial IPA, natch). After that, all I can say is that oops, some splashed on the stove. And oops, it's a two-pound container of honey, not one, discovered after the honey was already added. And oops, is it tasty. I'm starting to wonder if all honey should be hoppy. Or if I'm just a raging craft beeraholic.

On to the beer in my glass. This pours a light-to-medium amber color with a moderate off-white head and a faint chill haze. When I put my nose in to smell the aroma, I want to dive into a tank of this. I'm not much of a fan of dunk tanks, but if all dunk tanks were filled with good beer such as this, I'd be a willing participant. The nose is grapefruit and orange with some mild notes from the malts coming through. There is also an earthy tone -- think fresh soil after a gentle spring rain -- that comes through in the nose. The flavor is very similar to the nose. Grapefruit and orange citrus, fresh soil, and a solid malt backbone. There is also some pine in there. This is really tasty stuff.

Lagunitas puts out a lot of good beer -- IPA, Brown Shugga, A Little Sumpin Sumpin, Cappuccino Stout, and Hop Stoopid are among my favorites. This is at the top of that list, perhaps tied with Hop Stoopid. Yuuuuuuuuum. I'm sad I'm at the end of my glass, which is part of how I judge a beer. This is something they came up with one year when they couldn't make Brown Shugga. I'm so glad that spark of inspiration hit them and they've kept it around.

4.8/5 caps

-Jennie

So, to unwind from busy day (end of month, end of quarter, and maintenance fiasco), beer is amazing. I could (and probably will at some point) write a book on how much I love beer, counting all the reasons, other than just getting drunk. There's more to beer than getting drunk, and this is a good example of that statement. To expand on Jennie's comment about Alpha 3.0, I'm excited about this brew for a few different reasons. First being, this is our first home brew since September. We've tweaked the recipe from the original to not make it so bitter, and get more of the aroma and flavor of the hop strains (which are just simply fantastic).

I have to agree with Jennie on the pour, and especially the aroma (as right now, the entire place smells like Simcoe and Citra tea). She also nailed the taste. Damn, I sometimes don't like playing second fiddle when there's such a great lead that's given. But I will note on something that she missed. The mouthfeel. It's slightly sticky toward the back, but before that is smooth, with just the right amount of carbonation to make it a happy ending to the amazing taste bud assault you just experienced.

I as well agree that it is sad to see the empty pint. Not this half-full half-empty dilemma, just empty. Insert sad face emoticon here. The only quarrel I had with this is I expected an onslaught of hops (ala Hop Stoopid), but this is a nicely balanced, yet hop forward beer.

4.75/5

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment