Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New Holland Paleooza


I honestly can't believe this is the first New Holland brew that we've reviewed. They're a fantastic company that consistently putting out great beers. After doing a bit of research on this brew, I found out a little more about this beer. Here's the history lesson, which if it doesn't interest you, skip to the next paragraph. New Holland Brewery is based out of Holland, Michigan, yes, the same Holland, Michigan that L. Frank Baum who penned The Wizard of Oz spent his summers. They took little fact of history to pay tribute to L. Frank Baum with some of their brews. This brew, the Paleooza, is the very first beer that New Holland brewed (back in 1997). Apparently it's a good brew if it's stood the test of time and they're still producing it.

According to New Holland's website, this is brewed with Cascade hops. The malts are caramunich, special pale and carapils. Let's get on with the review. The pour is a golden amber with moderate off-white head that doesn't stick around. The aroma is faint, but the notes I pick up are biscuit, slight earthy tones, some citrus, combining to form almost an herbal tea sort of smell. It's not terrible.

Onto the important part of this. The tasting. This is interesting. It's biscuity with almost a fresh cut grass hint, followed by some earthy bitterness toward the back (not overwhelming though). The mouthfeel is crisp, the carbonation is perfect to where it isn't too bubbly for this.

Not my favorite Pale Ale, but very good. I'd like to point out that this, yes another one, would be better enjoyed on a hot summer day.

4.3/5 caps

-Nathan

I'm as surprised that I haven't had this as I am that this is our first review of a New Holland beer. They put out some great brews... Mad Hatter is definitely a go-to, and the Poet is a fantastic oatmeal stout. I prefer Full Circle for summer brews, and pale ales damn near anytime. And don't even get me started on the Ichabod, their pumpkin ale. New Holland also distills their own booze, if you're into the heavier stuff. Next time I'm up in Michigan, I plan to pick up a bottle of their liquor.

I pick up some orange and citrus notes in the aroma, as well as some biscuit and fresh-mown grass. The taste is very Cascadey -- some citrus and pine resins with some earthier notes. It's a little sweet in the mouth, leaving some faint stickiness. Other than that, Nathan pretty much nailed the description. I enjoy herbal tea, which yes, this does remind me of.

It reminds me of the Michigan shores on Lake Michigan, which is fitting, because that's where Holland is. I have a lot of fun memories of traveling to Holland both as a child with my family, as well as in college for more nefarious purposes. As for beer, I could definitely live with having this in my fridge on a regular basis.

4.1/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment