Thursday, March 28, 2013

New Holland Monkey King





We survived a busy day in Mommyland, and it's beer time. Thank goodness... although Peanut was exceptionally well-behaved today. Continuing our way through the five-pack (there are two left, including this one), we have arrived at New Holland's Monkey King, a saison/farmhouse ale. I'm super stoked about this, as I love New Holland and I fell in love with saisons last year, and I'm trying to train my palate to better appreciate farmhouse ales.

This pours a clear pale straw color with little head that quickly dissipates. There is a light chill haze in the glass. The aroma is faint banana and clove esters, with some orange and and maybe a hint of coriander. The taste is, well, farmhouse-y. It's not bad... there is definitely the banana/clove/orange that the aroma hinted at, and some white pepper. It gets almost metallic on the finish... that part is kind of weird to me. It's has a crystal clear, smooth mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I pick up none of the 6.6% ABV in the flavor.

Overall, it's ok. It's not the best saison I've had, but it's a solid beer from New Holland. It's perfectly ok... nothing stellar or spectacular about it, in my opinion. It's almost Hatter season from them, so I'm more excited about that.

3.75/5 caps

-Jennie

....Before I begin... I'm getting out of my big boy pants....  Ok... Into my comfy fuzzy pants... Pet the kitty outside who is yelling at us (if this turns out to be a stray, we'll be looking for a good home for it). And now onto the beer review.

A very pale, straw color, yes. Heavy on the banana and clove esters from the yeast strain, so definite Belgian strain. The taste is orange with banana and clove up front, fading to some spice (I guess white pepper), with hints of wheat and grass, but leaving an almost musky sort of thing at the end. I can't put my finger on it, just reminds me of my friend Bret's Dad's basement. It's not in a bad-way, like 'Blair Witch Project' or 'Jerry Sandusky's Funhouse' sort of basement. No, more like a warm memory that is held near to the heart. The mouthfeel is smooth, decent carbonation. Apparently it's 6.6%, but there's not a.... shit... it's gone... Back to my point, though. The 6.6% is not noticed.

Decent saison, great for someone who's looking at expanding their horizons into new realms of the Craft Beer World. And, as a guy, you can't go wrong with a beer with the word 'Monkey' in it.

3.9/5 caps

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment