Monday, March 11, 2013

Gaffel Kolsch






Nathan and I both enjoy a good kolsch -- usually a lighter, golden ale that has been kreusened during the brewing process. This is brought to you from Cologne, Germany, so it's as authentic as it gets. Dad has moved on from beer to whiskey for the evening, but I made him take a sip against his will, as he was stationed in Germany in the Army (where he "tried to drink Europe dry," as he is wont to say), and spent a fair amount of time in Cologne. Or Koln, as the Germans call it. But since I have no idea how to do umlauts on the computer, we'll call it by its anglicized name. By the way, Dad gave it a two-eyebrow wiggle and seemed to rather enjoy it. I haven't had serious German beer since, well, I tried to drink Eastern Europe dry during my days in Russia. Like father, like daughter, eh?

So, on to the beer, now that I've bored you with a bit of family history. It pours a pale straw color, crystal clear, with a white head that doesn't last. It smells like, well, German beer: mild malts, noble hops, loveliness. It tastes like... a lighter style of German beer. Moderately carbonated, it starts off with some light malt flavors, which give way to some earthy noble hops. It's a really dry beer. It's rather delicious, and would be fantastic on a summer day. Rainy and falling temps from the mid-50's don't count, dammit, Ohio. I was hoping for more of the same lovely 70-degree weather we enjoyed yesterday.

I'm accustomed to most American kolsches being closer in style to a golden ale. This is a lovely surprise, and I'd be happy to stock this in my fridge on a regular basis.

4.2/5 caps

-Jennie

Interesting that this is only our second import. Huh.

I was turned onto the Kolsch style during the summer. It brings fond memories of hot summer days and fun nights. Well, as Ohio is cold and bitter now, I only hope this will be bring those fond memories once again.

The pale straw color, the light head. This is how a German beer should look. Ah, light crisp, refreshing smell. This is good. Light malt and hop flavors, that have a nice light body and light carbonation. American lagers should look to this as a light beer, not a watered down piss lager.

Yep. There are the summer memories. Ah. Sitting on the porch, watching the sun go down while shooting the breeze with good friends. Then the harsh reality hits, and I realize I'm in Ohio toward the end of winter.

I would suggest this to anyone who wants a nice, lighter beer. It's not heavy on any one flavor, but it's nowhere near the 'Lite' piss lagers.

4.4/5

-Nathan


No comments:

Post a Comment