Sunday, March 17, 2013

Smithwick's Irish Ale


As the first part of our St. Patrick's Day debauchery, we'll start with Smithwick's. I got my ass handed to me back in '08 at an Irish pub in Cleveland, when I ordered a "Smith-Wicks". I was given a lesson on how I was a douche and mispronouncing it. It is pronounced ""Smid-dicks." That was my first experience with this. So, that out of the way, let's get onto this review.

This was going down real good last night (with the Shamrock Shots Jennie makes, and the shots of Bushmills). I wonder with it being the first brew of the day (yes at 5:45pm, I am disappointed in myself as well), how it will fare to last night.

The color is a dark reddish-brown with a thick off-white head that sticks around. The aroma is.... oops... dipped my giant schnoz in the beer... The aroma to me seems very Irish red. It has the slight earthy tones blending with the caramel and some slight roasted notes. The first sip is heavier than it was last night, but then again, when you start off with shots of Bushmills, everything goes down easy (except the women... *sigh*). It's a well balanced beer that's slightly on the sweet side. There are caramel and roasted flavors, I really don't get much in the taste department for hops, but I know there are hops in there (otherwise the beer would be way too cloying). Not overwhelming with any one flavor, just nicely balanced. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and this leaves a nice dry finish.

Not bad, for a style that's not my particular favorite.

4/5 caps

-Nathan-


I can't disagree with anything Nathan said about the beer description. As for the shots... well, we'll be using those as palate cleansers tonight. Or palate wreckers. Either way.

My first encounter with Smithwick's was back in 2003 or thereabouts, soon after its release in the United States, at The Rose and Thistle, a great little Scottish pub in Grandview that, sadly, is no longer there. It was probably about the time that Guinness bought Smithwick's and started distributing it. I enjoyed it then, and I've enjoyed it ever since.

This is a very balanced ale. I pick up more toffee in the nose. There's a lovely grassy, earthy note in this that I can't quite identify... almost herbal. Eh.

Funny thing is, I'm not sure if it's the water, or if it's something else in the brewing process, but this actually kind of tastes like Guinness.

3.8/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment