Friday, March 8, 2013

Sierra Nevada Celebration



Sierra Nevada Celebration. The 100th review of ours (yes, this is only our 99th post, but 1 was a welcome, and 1 was a recipe. We reviewed 4 different things on the North Market Fiery Foods fest review). What a name for such an event.

Looking around, this is a 6.8% ABV IPA. This was first brewed in 1981, and uses Centennial, Cascade and Chinook hops. Sierra Nevada was founded in 1979 and decided to do a different take on the Winter Seasonal brew with their Celebration. Their website has all kinds of interesting info for beer geeks, like Jennie and I (such as the difference between Wet Hop and Fresh Hop ales). But, unfortunately, I'll save the lectures and such for another time and place, and focus, as much as I can at 12:15 am, on this brew.

So, after an eventful day of gathering car parts, making hot sauces and artwork, and finding out some potentially phenomenal news about the show (with a meeting postponed until Sunday),  we decided to review Sierra Nevada's Celebration to celebrate all things good in life right now. Dionysus is smiling upon us, it seems.

This pours a.... color.... the smell is... good.... it has a taste that's good.... and is ... good....

This is what I want to say as I'm starting to fade after an eventful day, but at the same time, the job must be done, and done right.

This pours a beautiful amber color, with a slightly khaki head that lingers for a bit. The aroma is a collage of earthy tones, citrus and some spice. Very hop forward on the aroma with faint hints of almost biscuity malt. The first sip is what I've been craving since dropping $100 on my suspension for the car. There's pine that fades into a bitter citrus, like unsweetened grapefruit, then delving into the world of spices while leaving slightly sweet tone as the caboose of this flavor train. The mouthfeel is medium and sticky, as it should be. There are some citrus, earthy and sweetness tones that linger temporarily, fluctuating between the intensity of all three.

A fantastic brew that should be drank shortly after it comes out (thus getting the freshest fresh of the hops. Fresh fresh fre-fre-fre-fresh, I'm gonna drop some rhymes like mimes eating key limes). I need some slumber before mustering the energy to partake in the work schedule of tomorrow.

4.9/5 caps

-Nathan

Please excuse Nathan as I send him to bed. That last paragraph was inexcusable. At least he has comfy new shoes to cushion his work day tomorrow.

I pick up way less spice, way more hops. Mmmmm hops. And this is soon after killing a Hopslam. What, did you really think I'd tell you where I knew there was one six-pack of that lovely libation remaining? Ah, sorry, dear reader... I may have withheld critical information for my own personal gain. Although I did share one with Dad. Lucky bastard.

(I say "bastard" out of love, of course. And clearly I know his parentage.)

I pick up a lot more earthy tones in the brew... and knowing how Sierra Nevada loves to use Cascade hops, I'd expect no less.

This is a wonderful out-of-the-norm winter seasonal from a fantastic brewery. I think this may even absolve all crimes of Rhizing Bines. Now that, my dear Nathan, is a rhyme. Someone, please, stop me. That last one wasn't even intentional.

Wow, I must be tired, too... some ADD is kicking in. Great beer. Getcha some. We found this at the Worthington Kroger in their make-your-own selection. Seriously, it's that good.

4.9/5 caps

-Jennie



No comments:

Post a Comment