Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Brew Kettle Old 21


The Brew Kettle brings us Old 21, an imperial IPA that's highly reviewed and beloved by many. We've had this brew many different times, and it continues to be a go to for a hop-blasting amazing beer. Also note that this is made in Ohio, suck on that, state up north.

This pours a orange color with a small amount of white head (that does not stick around). The aroma is divine. Heavy orange and citrus tones with some caramel malt tones toward the back. Oh the first sip is a hop head's wet dream. There's some caramel, slight tinge of honey, and notes of brown sugar that play second fiddle to the ALMIGHTY SIMCOE! ALL HAIL THE SIMCOE HOP AS THIS RAVAGES YOUR TASTEBUDS WITH ITS MIGHTY FLAVOR! There is little bitterness on this, some piney, but mostly grapefruit and slight citrus tones from this gift from Silenus (the Roman God of Beer).

Shit. I'm out of this beautiful brew. I was too busy zoning out while letting the Simcoe take hold of my mind. Well, I guess that just goes to show you, great things never last forever. Now the harsh reality of life is hitting me and all the troubles of the world are coming back into view. Come back Simcoe euphoric state of bliss, please come back.

5/5 caps

-Nathan-

I think we have found Nathan's replacement for pot. Or crack. Or heroin. But back to the beer. This brew is what made me fall head over heels in love with Brew Kettle. I remember that day fondly... it was a beautiful spring Tuesday late afternoon at Bob's Bar in Columbus, and my love affair with hops had just begun. Cue sappy music. It was my last beer of the afternoon. I had sampled nearly every IPA on tap, and then asked the bartender/manager what their hoppiest beer was. He poured me an Old 21. Oh sweet nectar of Ninkasi (Sumerian goddess) I fell in love that day. Hard.

Nathan's description is pretty darn accurate. I pick up more pine in the nose and a faint mildewy scent and flavor to it. Actually, I'm starting to wonder if we got a bad bottle. Maybe it's just some dank hops, if there are such a thing. Perhaps this is the 'dro of Simcoe? Nevertheless, my love affair still runs strong with this one. And not really diminished by that off note. I mean, I've yet to have a Brew Kettle offering that is less than fanfuckingtastic. Oh, and have we mentioned that you can brew your own beer on premise? And their kettles are usually booked months in advance? If you haven't yet, call 440-239-8788 to book your kettle. They're located in Strongsville, between Cleveland and Akron.

I'm off to check on Nathan and make sure he's coming down from that high and not passed out in a corner...

4.8/5 caps -- merely because of the mildew note

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment