Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Founders Dirty Bastard



Ok, so I'm taking the lead on this review mainly due to a certain, beautiful 16-year-old girl cat in my lap. She's loving my fuzzy pants, and refusing to move (it was a struggle earlier to use the bathroom). That's right. I like to wear my red plaid, penguin fuzzy pants. I hate wearing my big-boy pants (jeans) when I get home. If it's wrong for a grown man to wear his comfy, fuzzy pajama pants around the house as soon as he gets off work, then, well, I don't want to be right. But, I again seem to be getting sidetracked. I noticed this happens a lot to me. I start to wonder if possibly I have some sort of mental illness or Attention Deficit Disorder, but then I realize that while I'm pondering this, I'm also not hitting the point of this. But eventually I realize it's usually the beer or the rum. Yay, Beer!

Founders, based out of that state up north, has produced amazing stuff. I have yet to have let-down from them. I have no idea why we haven't reviewed more than just this and the Cerise. Their Breakfast Stout is phenomenal, their Centennial is, well... you get the point.

This, purchased at Meijer, was bottled in Nov of 2012, so this is slightly aged, but not a typical aging. Now what is a dirty bastard? It could be describing the guy who ripped you off, it could be describing a guy who hasn't showered in a long time, or it could be describing both at once, in the form of my half-brother. This dirty bastard that we're reviewing, though, is none of the above. It's a Scotch Ale, could also be classified as a Wee-Heavy.

It pours a dark rich red, but not quite the red color I've seen since I logged into my Hotmail account (see our review on Great Lake's Alchemy Hour for that story). The head is a light tan color, almost a dirty white color (could this possibly be part of the description for the name?). The aroma is Toffee, caramel, some almost dark fruit (raisin?) tones. Very malt heavy. Very Scottish ale smelling. The taste is.... Ah, you Dirty Bastard! Malt heavy, obviously. Toffee, some fruity tones. Well, instead of trying to describe it again, just read what you get in the nose. What you get in the nose is also in the taste. The taste though, does have some alcohol bite toward the back. The mouthfeel is thick, creamy, slight sweet-stickiness to the back, but not overwhelming.

Go, purchase this. Whilst purchasing, bring me back some.

4.6/5 Caps

-Nathan

I have no idea how I'm even supposed to follow that up... other than Founder's is out of Grand Rapids, MICHIGAN!!!!!! (As opposed to that state up north). A lovely garnet color in the glass, I pick up some stone fruit in the nose: a bit of plum, a bit of dried cherry. Definite toffee. And this is what a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy should be. Damn good. Makes me want to do a jig (Scottish, not Irish, thank you very much) and put on my St. Patrick's Day shirt and... wait... maybe that jig should be Irish. Nah, it makes me want to rediscover Brigadoon (laugh all you want, it's one of my favorite musicals) and put on a tartan (I used to have my clan's tartan.... wonder whatever happened to that?) and embrace the Scottish part of my heritage. Even though it's from Michigan, which is where my Scottish relatives ended up. Huh. So this is like the ancestry.com of my beer. In fact, here's my family's coat of arms. You didn't think Koeper was my maiden name, did you?


So, what have we learned tonight? Jennie has a sordid history? Perhaps... Also, maybe that three beers on a grilled cheese today may lead to intoxication, at home, of course. And we can also extrapolate that to infer that stomach flu sucks. Except when it comes to appreciating good beer. Therefore, my stomach rules with more of an iron fist than Robert the Bruce.

4.7/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment