Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Founder's Curmudgeon






I'm starting to think that Nathan is trying to kill me early tonight. This is Founder's Curmudgeon, an Old Ale that is brewed with molasses, aged in oak barrels, and weighs in at a gut-warming 9.8% ABV. Founder's is an exceptional brewery from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Yes, Nathan, suck it. Our fair northern neighbor produces phenomenal beer, particularly this late winter seasonal.

This pours a lovely garnet color with some slight chill haze. The light toffee-colored head doesn't stick around, but I would not expect it to, with this ABV. In the nose I detect stone fruit and hops. Oops, I think I just caught a buzz off the aroma. When I taste it, I pick up malty and bready flavors and molasses, fading into alcohol bite, and then easing up with the bittering of hops at the tail end. It's fairly sweet, leaving a sticky feeling on the tongue.

Seriously, I'm starting to think they underestimated the alcohol percentage on this after three sips. Probably should have used a tulip glass for this. And it definitely should be served at approaching 60 degrees Fahrenheit to let the complexities of flavors play on your tongue. 

After a moment, some bready notes come back through, followed by the stone fruit. Wow, this is good. Wow, one is enough to kick me in the ding-ding, at least tonight. This is another fantastic offering from Founder's, who has yet to disappoint in the least.

4.6/5 caps

-Jennie

Now, let it be known, I never said that the state up north didn't produce good beer. Nay, nay. In fact, it's just their college team that I hate, you know, the one Jennie likes. And it's no just because Jennie likes them, no, it's the fact that I am a fan (and former student) of The Ohio State University. But let's get on to the review.

This pours a darker amber color with a, as she-who-roots-for-the-wrong-team elegantly worded, light toffee head. I get more dark sugars, some slight alcohol, and hops in the nose. The taste is really good. I get some toasted oak and molasses fading into a slight alcohol bite. And as Jennie knocked over the remaining amount from her glass (trying to turn down the LOUD emergency alert system on the TV), I catch some light bittering hops, but not enough to add more texture to this complex brew.  This leaves, to me, like a syrupy, sticky feeling in my mouth that makes me want to drink more to get rid of it.

This is heavy. This is good. This is good and heavy, much like a Triple Baconator from Wendy's. Hmm... Bacon.

4.4/5 caps because I think this might be a good cellaring beer (we really need to start a beer cellar).

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment