Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Troegs Perpetual IPA





Troegs, sans the umlaut (cause, let's be honest, how many people in the English world know how to create an umlaut on the computer), started in 1996. This brew is one of their year round brews, and for good reason, looking at their website. Brewed with 3 hops, hop backed with 2, and dry hopped with 2, it appears to be a hop heads wet dream. Insert wet hop joke here. Wait... It should be a dirty joke. Never mind.

So back to this brew. This pours a golden straw color. The head dissipates  but leaves a beautiful stark white lacing on the side of the glass. The nose is bready, with some hints of tropical fruits and sweetness. The taste is light bread at first rolling into hints of lemon and grapefruit and ending with some lemon and bitterness. Very hop-forward without being over-hoppy. There's a lack of maltiness to it, but it's not unpleasant (note, I'm a hop head who eats straight hops on days that we home brew). This is a smooth drinking IPA, lighter mouthfeel with some lighter resin stickiness.

Not bad, very crisp, clean IPA. This would be a good evening-on-the-porch IPA, but once again, I find myself in Ohio. It's almost April and we're still battling snow. Mother Fucker. This boggles my mind that January had better temperature days than after the first day of Spring. We're slowly moving into Orange Barrel Season in Ohio, so that's perfect weather for drinking this.

4.6/5 caps

-Nathan-

Oh sure, Nathan, you can throw a French word into a sentence, but not an umlaut? (To be honest, I have no idea how to create the umlaut on a computer, either, without getting into changing the keyboard language, and even then, I don't know where the umlaut-e would be.) I first discovered this last summer, and fell in love with it. When I first held it to my nose tonight, back when it was cold and fridge-fresh, it smelled much more piney. Now that it has warmed a tad while Nathan was writing his segment, it has more the smell that he described. I also find more pineapple and mango in the taste now that it's closer to room temperature. I get some caramel tones, and some earthy flavors on the back end. Being the hophead I am, I rather enjoy this. I find it to be better structured than many session IPA's, with a decent malt backbone. But that's just me. And yes, I could easily make this my summer porch-sipper. But it's also quite lovely on an early spring night that is rather chilly. But the moon. Step outside and look at the moon. It was full last night, and is almost ovid in shape tonight. It's stunning. I took a picture, and it's a little grainy, but I also caught an orb (the green spot at the top of the moon; wasn't visible to the naked eye, but was rather prevalent in the camera. And it moved. A lot).

Sweet.

4.6/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment