Monday, March 11, 2013

Oskar Blues Gubna





Ah, yet another Oskar Blues selection. This one is their Imperial IPA (if you haven't caught on yet, we're hop heads. I figured out that 30% of our reviews have been some form of IPA thus far). This one is basic in the ingredients, 3 malts and 1 hop strain (Summit). This will be a new experience, as I don't think I've had anything that's focused on the Summit strain of hops.

This pours a clear golden orange color with very little amount of white head, that doesn't stick around. The aroma is sweet, reminiscent of Grape Nuts cereal (this would be from the malt. If you haven't tasted 2-row malt, go to a homebrew store and purchase some. Chew on it a little.). Along with Grape Nuts, there are orange and grapefruit notes. So enough torture, onto the taste. Oh yeah. This is good. There are malt tones that don't get lost from the intense hops. It's a complex malty, citrusy concoction that leaves a slightly sticky mouthfeel, with little carbonation.

This is 10% ABV. The alcohol isn't noticed in the nose, but it is slightly noted in the taste.

I'll turn this over to Jennie for additional comments, as I'm running low on the creativity (a long work day in a factory will do that).

4.5/5 caps

-Nathan

This is an extraordinarily complex imperial IPA. I had a sip while Nathan was writing above, and I noted that it was nothing that I expected.

I don't pick up the Grape Nuts in the nose, but I do in the taste. I do pick up a bunch of citrus in the nose. OK, and maybe a bit of Grape Nuts. When I taste it, it's like my taste buds are enjoying a day at Cedar Point. The malt flavors really come through more than in any other IPA I've had. OK, so we have some solid structure. There are some citrusy and tropical fruit notes in the taste. For an imperial IPA, it's not nearly as hoppy as I expected. I'm not disappointed, though... it's just different. I also pick up some earthy tones mid-taste. There's almost a berry flavor at the end. And I get more carbonation than Nathan does out of it.

This is definitely another solid offering from Oskar Blues.

4.3/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment