Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout






Continuing on with the Saint Patrick's day festivities, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I've had this before, Jennie on the other hand, has not. I remember I enjoyed this more than regular Guinness, so let's see if this still holds true.

This pours a dark black and opaque, with a moderate amount of tan head that sticks around. The aroma is fantastic. Some toasted notes with heavy sweetness- almost fruity, like plum? Interesting... The taste is a fantastic roller coaster starting with bittersweet chocolate, fading to dark fruit, chocolate, and coffee, a touch of smoky flavor with almost like a bourbon-barrel aged ending to this. Sweet Jesus, I can't put this down. This is the best Guinness brew I've had, and that opinion still holds true. Hell, this might rate up with one of my favorite stouts. This is 7.5 ABV, this leaves beautiful lacing along the sides of the pint glass.

I keep getting sidetracked by the television, interesting episode of Law and Order S.V.U. Spoiler alert- they couldn't get the guy on rape, due to statute of limitations, but they got him for kidnapping. And now the news. Ah the news. Best played loudly at 11pm in this place of beer (aka, our place). This place of beer has had several different beers pass through here. Guinness Foreign Extra has to be one of the best widely available beers that has passed through here.

4.75/5 caps

-Nathan

Yes, Phil enjoys his hockey, SVU, and must watch at least three editions of the news each day. All at very loud volumes. I love my dad.

Nathan described this to a T. This is fantastic. And no hint of the "Guinness water" that I've noted throughout the rest of the selections. We still have the Black Lager to go, but I've had it before, and -- spoiler alert -- it tastes of the Guinness water. I also think this has an appropriate heaviness for the taste -- unlike the regular Draught, which tastes watery yet feels like a three-course meal.

This is really good stuff. Kinda reminds me of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. And remember how I said that tasting Guinness in Ireland was on my bucket list? I've heard a rumor that this is at least close, if not the same as the stuff they serve there. If you believe Wikipedia, this is not the case. But if it were, no wonder it's such a popular brew in Ireland. I get it. I totally get it. I may have to roshambo Nathan for the last one.

4.75/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment