Monday, March 4, 2013

Hoppy Brewing Stony Face





So this would be Hoppy Brewing's Stony Face. I've had this before, along with a couple other selections. 5.6% abv red ale. Hoppy Brewing is out of Cali, which has a bunch of fantastic breweries.

This pours a clear amber color, with some khaki colored head. The head doesn't stick around much, but it does leave some nice lacing.  The aroma is caramel tones with some almost tangy or sour notes. Interesting. The initial sip is nice and light. Malt heavy with some earthy hop tones with the occasional citrus bite, but very faint. Light mouthfeel with just the right light carbonation to keep it crisp and refreshing.

Nothing too spectacular, but not terrible.

3.7/5 caps

-Nathan

I wasn't sure how beer was going to go down tonight, as I've been ill with some nasty stomach ick that prevented me from drinking last night (I took a sip of Stroh's and gave what I call Turkey Face -- that grossed out face of disgust, the same face I get while preparing the turkey Thanksgiving morning). Tonight, however, I was determined to drink a beer. Nathan and I have shared this before... we can often find it on clearance for around $2 a bomber, and Hoppy makes certainly quaffable brews.

I'm not a huge fan of red ales, but I actually like this. I don't care for reds usually because I find them somewhat bland and uninteresting. While this is nothing over-the-top, it's a solid brew with a great mouthfeel and finish. It's just velvety with a very clean finish. For a red ale, I think it's one of my favorite of the style. And that label... how can you not be happy when looking at this??? It evokes pure California -- a warm late-spring day, driving a vintage VW Beetle with the top down in SoCal. You can't go wrong with that.

4.1/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment