Thursday, February 7, 2013

Brew Kettle Four C's


The Brew Kettle is one of my favorite Ohio breweries. OK, you might have me there... they're more like the Founder's of Strongsville, Ohio. They don't put out a bad, nay, mediocre beer. Regardless of style, they're at the top of the game, even if they are unrecognized. Or under-recognized. IPA? Check. Schwarzbier? Check. Stout? Check. Imperial any-of-the-above? Check, check, and check. They do many more, and I've had most of their bottled and kegged styles. And did I mention that you can brew your own there? Their kettles are often booked months in advance, but if you are feeling either patient or lucky, call 440-239-8788 to see if or when there is an opening. Regardless, if you get a chance, pick up a six-pack or a pint. Imagine my delight when Nathan walked in tonight with a bomber of one of my fave brews by them. Such a fangirl, I am, I admit.

The Four C's is their American Pale Ale, righteously hopped with each of the four big C's of the hop world: Columbus, Chinook, Cascade, and Centennial. It pours a medium amber with an off-white head. It leaves a nice, tight lacing on the glass, without being remotely sticky. The nose is some biscuity malts and some pineapple/passionfruit aromas. And then there's the first sip... it's reminds me of the first night Nathan kissed me. The aforementioned aromas take the mouth over with flavor, which then yields to a milder lychee flavor (and there's not even Citra in here -- it's the Four C's, not the Five C's!). The malt presence is noticeable next, drying out the finish, and it's just deeeeeelish. Can you hear me smacking my lips yet? No? It's because they're too busy licking the glass. It's perfectly smooth, round, bitter, and sweet, all at the same time.

If you think I'm having a beergasm over this, wait until we pick up an Old 21, their Imperial IPA. Or White Rajah, their IPA. Mmmmmmmmtastic, both of 'em, too. But for an American Pale Ale, this is fanfuckingtastic. This drinks like an IPA, though, so if your hop legs aren't that well developed, you might want to... eh, give it a shot anyway.

4.9/5 caps


-Jennie

Um... I have nothing to add except this is a fantastic brew, not quite as hoppy as the Old 21 or White Rajah.  Really, Jennie? I don't even gush over Flying Dog like that....

4.8/5 caps

No comments:

Post a Comment