Sunday, February 3, 2013

Buckeye Brewing Co. Hippie IPA

Nathan brought home a double deuce of Hippie IPA from Buckeye Brewing out of Lakewood, OH, the other night. This is one I feel I should have had... can't remember if I have had it or not. I like the bottle, as the label is strongly reminiscent of the Ohio flag.

It pours a beautiful bright, medium orange color with a light caramel-colored head that leaves mild, tightly knit lacing on the glass. The aroma is of citrusy hops and brown sugar and perhaps a hint of toffee. The initial taste is of piney hops with a burnt-sugar flavor quickly following. The end of the sip gives off pine needles and pine resin. I'm guessing they use copious amounts of Northern Brewer and Cascade hops. The overall hop flavor, though, is milder than I expected. It has a light malt backbone, not as well balanced as I had hoped, but it's there.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a fantastic brew, and while this is definitely a good, solid IPA, I feel there's something lacking. Is it because it's the middle of the Super Bowl and I'd rather be watching the ads (because I have no desire to watch the game)? Perhaps...

3.85/5 caps

-Jennie

We started sampling this during the Super Bowl, right after Ray Lewis killed the lights. I have no interest in this game other than the commercials. So, onto the beer. As Jennie said, a beautiful bright, medium orange color, not opaque, not translucent. Citrusy hops in the aroma. Beautiful aroma. Great flavor, nothing lingers too long. There is a bitterness that lasts longer than the pine resin. Slightly sticky mouthfeel on the back, but tolerable. I agree that there is something missing from this brew. A good IPA, none-the-less, just lacking that extra UMPH to shove it into the fantastic rage.

3.9/5 caps

-Nathan-

No comments:

Post a Comment